Talk

Advanced search

A real dim wit question about Macaroni Cheese.

(7 Posts)
mummyplonk Fri 03-Jul-09 12:42:16

This is the current fav with the kids with some nice ham added. But it dosnt taste the same as my Mums used to, she used to put a lovely crunchy/crumbly top on hers whereas I just grate some extra cheese and grill it off at the end..could it be breadcrumbs? in which case I am sooo thick I have never cooked with them, I dont have a food processor to hand, so can I just smash em up, do I fry them first? top tips please for a womble.

lemonpuff Fri 03-Jul-09 13:34:04

I use crushed cornflakes or croutons and then a layer of cheese.

Sheeta Fri 03-Jul-09 13:39:35

u use 1/2 breadcrumbs and half grated cheese and then grill. toasting the bread slightly and leaving it to cool, then grating it or crumbling it for the breadcrumbs.

Or you could be really lazy like me and just buy breadcrumbs

mummyplonk Fri 03-Jul-09 16:08:19

Thanks lemonpuff n sheeta, off to cook. smile

ChopsTheDuck Fri 03-Jul-09 16:14:01

I used crushed tortilla chips.

callaird Fri 03-Jul-09 16:14:34

I use half grated cheese and a bag of ready salted crips crushed to oblivion. Very yummy!

You can also do it with corn chips.

MorrisZapp Wed 08-Jul-09 16:50:50

Yup, ready salted crisps here too.

I'm a crap cook in general but my macaroni cheese is excellent every time. My tips would be buy the strongest cheese you can, and add a bit of English mustard too.

Don't grate the cheese, just roughly slice it. By the time you've melted it in to the sauce, you'll have battered any lumps out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now