Talk

Advanced search

STUPID QUESTION ALERT: how do you poach a chicken breast?

(6 Posts)
alannabanana Fri 03-Jul-09 09:22:28

i'm a 28 year old former career woman, and can't believe ive come this far in life without knowing how to do this!
am having a hard time getting meat into my weaning DS and i reckon poaching chicken rather than grilling might help make it juicier and more appealing. (and be quicker than baking!)
anyone able to come to my rescue?!

theyoungvisiter Fri 03-Jul-09 09:25:03

you just simmer it in a liquid of your choice - stock, wine, water - until it's completely white and firm all the way through.

But I wouldn't worry about getting meat into your baby unduly. There's lots of alternatives he might prefer for teh moment - like pulses for eg.

alannabanana Fri 03-Jul-09 12:44:58

cool that sounds easy - is it not very much liquid or completely immersed?

i was just concerned about getting him used to meat as i rarely cook anything meat-wise thats bland enough to be suitable for him, hence he doesn't get much at the mo. figured i might as well make up a meal in advance, divide and freeze it.

alannabanana Fri 03-Jul-09 12:45:37

and thanks by the way for getting back to me!!

stickylittlefingers Fri 03-Jul-09 12:48:48

if you have a steamer they do chicken breasts beautifully - very moist. But agree, no problem if he doesn't like meat so much - neither of mine did when they were very little.

theyoungvisiter Fri 03-Jul-09 13:12:09

it will need to be completely immersed - unless the lid is very tight fitting in which case it will kind of steam and doesn't need to be completely submerged.

How old is your DS? Chicken breast is generally quite dry and chewy for a little mouth, so he might prefer something easier to chew.

Favourites with mine were

homemade sausage rolls made with good quality sausages (snip the ends off and squeeze the sausage meat onto pastry)

spag bol (of course!)

tiny home made beef burgers made with good quality organic mince

tiny lamb burgers - which are also extremely nice for grownups dipped in humous and served with Greek salad

fish goujons

all can be made in advance and frozen. The sausage rolls you need to defrost and cook in the oven for about 30 mins - 1hr (depending how thick they are). The burgers can be cooked from frozen in a hot pan, if they are thin enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now