Talk

Advanced search

Aargh! Didn't close the freezer door properly!

(12 Posts)
Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 00:32:03

Just went to put something in the freezer (I'm making icecream at midnight - well, something to do, innit...)

Realised that freezer door was ajar, (not gaping open or I would have noticed it) - it obviously didn't "catch" when I went to close it earlier. I reckon I last opened the freezer door at about 7.15pm - making it just over 5 hours that the door has been ajar like that.

There was a little bit of bit of water leakage at the bottom of the freezer that leaked on the floor. Some of the ice in the freezer is still there, some of it is melted.

The food inside the freezer seems to still be pretty cold, icy and solid, though some of the bags are a little soggy on the outside.

If the food still seems quite frozen, does that mean it is OK? Don't want to poison my family, but also don't want to chuck out loads of perfectly good food when I'm skint!!

Thanks

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:34:40

i have done this many times!

If the freezer is well stocked- you may be lucky and lose nothing...

I tend to trust if it feels frozen...it IS frozen.... icecream is one thing that may suffer...but seeing as you are making it....i'm hopeful you didn't have any shop made stuff in the freezer?!?

Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 00:39:25

No shop made icecream in the freezer.

My freezer isn't brilliantly stocked - not full up at the moment (a bit less than half-full looking at the contents).

It contains chips, various frozen veg and quorn sausages (and now a tub of not-yet-frozen gooseberry & elderflower icecream grin)

I have something in each drawer - just not maximising the freezer's use right now.

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:39:52

peas/sweetcorn etc may stick together a bit...as they may have melted a bit- then frozen up again...but they will cook fine.

meat poultry stays frozen in an unopened freezer during a power cut for up to 72 hours.... so i'm sure that 5 hours 'ajar' will not matter!

(i last did this by shutting the corner of a tea towel in the door!)

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:43:40

crosspost!!!

if the chips felt hard- i wouldn't worry!

(off topic...but on the lines of not chucking out good food when you are skint....yesterday i knocked over a nearly full bottle of fabric conditioner....picture this....11.30pm...DH moving kettle etc out of the way...whilst i used a spatula to 'scrape' it all into a jug...which i then poured back into the bottle.... Wel...waste not want not!!!!)

Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 00:43:57

Thanks for that.

Pesky door, I've had a few problems shutting it recently - only defrosted the freezer a month or so ago so don't think it's that.

Usually I notice pretty quickly, but not this time.

Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 00:44:49

Cross posts again - wow, I admire your dedication to frugality (if that's a word) grin

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:48:51

it was more a case of me being Peed off that i knocked a almost full bottle over...and had no more in the cupboard!!!! ;o

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:49:29

Hmmmmm...the exciting life i lead!!!

Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 00:51:36

Hey, I'm not going to judge - I'm the one making icecream in the small hours of the morning grin

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:54:04

Its just blissfully peaceful at this time isn't it?!!

(i also love being able to cook without 'little fingers' dipping in the bowl and offering to help me! So i often cook after 10pm!!!!)

Servalan Fri 03-Jul-09 01:32:42

Yes, cooking without my "little helper" is most definitely a factor in my decision to make the icecream now rather than earlier during the day!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now