Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way to oven cook a jacker potato??

(7 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 01-Jul-09 19:31:14

I must admit, I always use the microwave. blushI tried a few times before in the oven but they usually come out shrivelled or hard.
Oven cooked ones taste so much nicer so I'd be really greatfull for any tips. smile

blametheparents Wed 01-Jul-09 19:36:04

I usually start mine off in the microwave and then put them in the oven for the last bit, I usually stick a metal skewer right the way through too so get the heat right into the middle.

If doing them in the oven from the start, then prick all over, salt and pepper on skin and wrap in foil. Remove foil for last 10 mins to crisp the skin a bit.

yummy

GiraffeAHolic Wed 01-Jul-09 19:38:47

Remember in advance that you are having baked potatoes is the first step (I often plan to do the for dinner but am not organised enough to put them in the oven early enough blush)

Preheat oven to 230degrees, prick spuds all over with a fork, rub with olive oil and salt for really crispy skins.

Leave in oven for about 2 hours depending on size.

Piercing the length of the spud with a skewer before cooking takes half an hour of the cooking time

HTH

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 19:38:56

I cook mine in the microwave then put a bit of oil on the skin and lob it in the oven for 30 mins

MrsTittleMouse Wed 01-Jul-09 19:40:33

The biggest issue for me is the temperature of the oven. I think that hotter is better as it gives a crispy skin.

mummyloveslucy Wed 01-Jul-09 19:46:08

Thanks everyone. smile I can't wait to try that out.

SarahL2 Wed 01-Jul-09 20:05:35

I like to scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush then prick with a fork and rub all over with butter.

Wrap in foil and put in the oven for 90 mins-2 hours (depending on size of potato)

If you like a crispy skin, remove the foil half an hour or so before the end.

I was taught this way of cooking them by an ex-boyfriend at uni and have done them the same way ever since. It's yummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now