Talk

Advanced search

underwhelming strawberries - what should I do with them for dinner party tonight?

(14 Posts)
thereistheball Tue 30-Jun-09 11:44:31

I bought some strawberries in the market, and although they smell great they taste slightly sour still. Need to serve them tonight. What should I do to them to make them delicious? Don't have an oven.

stillstanding Tue 30-Jun-09 11:45:55

Adding a bit of vanilla sugar should sweeten them up. What are you serving them with? If you made a sort of Etons mess out of them with meringues and cream it might disguise the fact that they are less than juicy!

PandaG Tue 30-Jun-09 11:46:14

buy meringues. whip cream. crush meringues into chunks

mix all together - Eton Mess. Yum!

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 30-Jun-09 11:46:47

Are they cold? They will taste far better if they have a long time to come to room temp.
I wouldn't worry about sourness, just serve with something sweet.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 30-Jun-09 11:47:31

Oh yes, I was going to suggest Eton Mess too, we had it at the weekend and it was lovely.

We added some raspberries from our garden too.

BillieJeanIsNotMyMother Tue 30-Jun-09 11:55:14

maybe some kind of mousse with lots of sugar

PandaG Tue 30-Jun-09 11:57:30

also could put in a paper bag with a banana? I know that being with a banana ripens other fruit, not sure quite how quickly though?

pagwatch Tue 30-Jun-09 11:59:53

Eton mess. Of course.

whooosh Tue 30-Jun-09 12:02:17

50g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
250g strawberries , hulled and halved

In a small saucepan, mix the caster sugar and balsamic vinegar with 2 tbsp water and cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has reduced by half to a sticky syrup (about 5 mins). Cool before pouring over the strawberries and allow to soak for at least 1 hr.

Serve with Ice cream or whipped cream-dead easy to do,fantastic flavour and an be done in advance.

I have just made home made ice cream with ours

150ml double cream
175ml milk
2 large tablespoons of sugar
lemon juice
egg yolk

Mash it all up together and put in the freezer. Stir it every hour if you can remember.

meltedmarsbars Tue 30-Jun-09 13:09:02

In winter I make ice-cream with frozen strawberries I have saved from summer. Semi-thaw them then wizz with cream/yogurt and sugar and a squirt of lemon.

kids love it.

gigglewitch Tue 30-Jun-09 13:15:02

another vote for eton mess grin

yummmmmm

thereistheball Tue 30-Jun-09 13:57:50

Thanks everyone! Eton mess would be perfect but I think I will struggle to find whipping cream and meringues in local supermarket (live abroad). Off to have a look - if not it will be the balsamic vinegar option. Thanks again!

BottySpottom Sat 04-Jul-09 21:25:46

Too late now, but black pepper brings out the 'strawberryness' of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now