Talk

Advanced search

20 month old will not drink milk - advice

(9 Posts)
gingesuze Mon 29-Jun-09 16:24:46

Since having an upset stomach my little girl willnot drink milk, I think she is reminded of then.
She loves cheese and yoghurts but will not have any drink form, milkshakes nothing.
Any ideas on how to increase her calcium intake as she is getting white marks on nails from deficincy.
Thanks

bubblagirl Mon 29-Jun-09 16:33:25

she will get all calcium needed from foods ds also gave up milk at that age after sickness but has a lot of calcium rich foods and on occasion will drink milkshakes

here

bubblagirl Mon 29-Jun-09 16:34:32

try again

PortAndLemon Mon 29-Jun-09 16:36:03

Do you have a particular reason to think that the white spots are caused by calcium deficiency? I know that was the popular urban myth when we were younger, but that's actually virtually unheard of. White marks on nails are usually the result of minor injuries (e.g. bumping the nail or nail bed on something) or occasionally of a mild zinc deficiency.

If she's eating plenty of cheese and yogurts then I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned give her a chewable multivitamin. Otherwise rhubarb, spinach, tofu, almonds, beans, kale, broccoli or even bread are all good sources of calcium.

gingesuze Mon 29-Jun-09 16:37:29

Lovely. Thanks

bubblagirl Mon 29-Jun-09 16:45:04

oh also my gp said white spots on child's nails are not a sign of calcium deficiency and will grow out if that stops you worrying

gingesuze Mon 29-Jun-09 16:47:56

Should not listen to my mum about white spots. Cheers

bubblagirl Mon 29-Jun-09 16:54:07

lol its known older you get if white spots and poor diet then it would mean it but in children they get enough calcium from cheese and yoghurt fortified juice etc veg

its normally knocks the gp was saying and will grow out

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Mon 29-Jun-09 17:05:47

I'm living in hope that my 17 month old's current bug and lack of milk will cure her of her addiction. She drinks pints of the stuff and I was wondering how to cut it down without her throwing the cup of water at me hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now