Talk

Advanced search

VERY QUICK QUESTION for those with slow cookers...

(12 Posts)
FatGirlThin Mon 29-Jun-09 13:24:50

If a recipe says 3hrs on high (spicy chicken stew type thing) how long do you think I should put it on auto for (or low)? I'm going out about 2pm I want to put it on to be ready for 7.30 ish, not sure about leaving raw chicken sitting in the pot and leaving it on the timer switch because it's so hot today.

Thanks.

PestoMonster Mon 29-Jun-09 13:30:58

I roll my chicken in seasoned flour and then brown it off first in a frying pan. Then plonk it in the cookpot with your veg and liquid and turn it on. It will be absolutely fine cooking all afternoon and you will be able to eat it any time this evening.

FatGirlThin Mon 29-Jun-09 13:38:56

Oh, recipe says not to brown - have cooked veg, stock and passata as instructed and stirred in spices. What does auto mean in relation to high? Is it twice the time or does it not work like that, I can never remember!

GhostOfPsychomum5 Mon 29-Jun-09 13:42:38

I put mine in on high until I go out, then leave on low until we are ready to eat.

always worked for me

PestoMonster Mon 29-Jun-09 13:46:23

Not sure, I would think Auto would be fine though.

FatGirlThin Mon 29-Jun-09 14:16:39

Thanks I am trying high for an hour then low...just not sure about auto -if it's medium why doesn't it just say so!!

(oh and I haven't made it out yet...)

PestoMonster Mon 29-Jun-09 22:25:54

Well? How did you get on? Was it OK?

[nosey emoticon]

ZacharyQuack Tue 30-Jun-09 02:50:15

My slow cooker book says that one hour on high is the equivalent of two hours on low. So if the recipe says 3 hours on high, you could cook it for 6 hours on low. Or 1 hour high, 4 hours low etc.

bloss Tue 30-Jun-09 07:10:02

Message withdrawn

FatGirlThin Tue 30-Jun-09 18:28:28

LOL! It worked out fine thanks (1 hour on high 4 on low) - needed more salt though smile

PestoMonster Tue 30-Jun-09 19:43:29

I'm glad it went OK. Hopefully you're off to a flying start now smile

FatGirlThin Tue 30-Jun-09 21:28:33

LOL Pesto, sadly I've done quite a few things in it (including this recipe before) it's just that damn auto setting always befuddles me <dozy mare> blushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now