Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wheat free diet.... are there any substitutes...

(6 Posts)
amisuchabadmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 13:05:43

for bread or bread type products. am currently struggling badly with not being able to make toast/bagels or crumpets in the morning and also not being able to do sandwiches for lunch.

any ideas? am happy to try making pitta bread type things myself if there's an alternative flour i can use.

thanks.

weaselbudge Mon 29-Jun-09 13:49:08

well there is great wheat free flour in the "free-from" section in waitrose.It is called "doves farm". I've only tried making cakes but they tasted exactly the same as using normal self-raising flour so sure you could use them for bread. Also a friend of mine used to make really easy chappati things out of gram flour and water and used them as a tortilla type wrap. Sure there will be loads of recipes if you google.

amisuchabadmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 13:58:37

ooh thanks for that. gram flour, oh yes I remember making chappati's in the past....

CMOTdibbler Mon 29-Jun-09 14:03:53

Tescos stock a gf/wf bread called Genius that is actually nice enough to make sandwiches with as well as toast.

All the supermarkets stock gf pitta breads which make good sandwiches if toasted before filling - I then put them into a sealed plastic bag and they last well.

Making wf/gf bread is really, really hard. Most of it is <boak>. The bread you get with the Doves Farm flour is pretty much in the boak camp.

Cakes, of course, are no problem as they don't rely on gluten for their structure

amisuchabadmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 14:05:28

looks like im going to have to change supermarkets... never usually go to waitrose or tescos !

CMOTdibbler Mon 29-Jun-09 14:09:11

The Doves Farm flour is stocked by them all. I tend to go to all of them to buy different things - like Morrisons have a really nice gf muesli (most are foul), but I'm not overly keen on it generally. Tescos has the fab Genius bread, and a few other things, then Waitrose some other stuff.

I buy pitta breads as a few packets at a time and freeze them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now