Talk

Advanced search

Fussy toddler

(12 Posts)
snala Sat 27-Jun-09 23:00:16

Hey! this is my first time at this so go easy!!
Please help. My 17 month old lives on weetabix,yogurt,banana,orange,bread,darylea and wotsits.
Everything else gets thrown on the floor,im really starting to worry.

yousaidit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:06:32

toddlers, ah yes, the masters of manipulation grin

my dd was like this, so i just put her plate in front of her, if she arsed about and didn't eat it, i kept it till tea and gave her the same dish warmed up, with nothing else to eat in between. if it was unusable, eg she has smeared it n her head, then fair enough, nothing else to eat until tea and i gacve her what i wanted her to eat.

toddlers will eat when they are hungry, but oif you're feeding your dc what they want, then they'll learn pretty quick they sling what they don't want and then they get what they do. stick to yor guns and make sure there are no treats or snacks and you should see them eating a bit more. i did it with dd!

snala Sat 27-Jun-09 23:25:13

Its got to be worth a go,got number 2 on the way in August and could do without this! Thanks

StirlingTheStrong Sat 27-Jun-09 23:25:36

Agree with yousaidit - please just give them what you want them to eat and remove plate after a suitable time - dont offer anything else - they learn quick smile

yousaidit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:41:24

snala , you are in same position i was, i wanted to get dd to feed herself proper food as i was still feeding her when she was about 22months, so i had to take the hard line as i thought i can't be feeding baby and spooning food to her , this wold be ridiculous.

def get them sorted out before dc2 arrives so they don't equate hardline mum with arrival of baby, yoiu kow, avoiding all potention jealousy and all that grin

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 27-Jun-09 23:44:06

<<<<bad mummy alert, today ds2 has had weetabix- threw it on floor so I made him some toast chucked it at ds1, so i gave him his usual cornflakes with yoghurt.

Lunch he had Beans on taost as I know he will eat them while the rest of us had salad

dinner he had chicken and mush pasta while we had chinese.

I let both ds's eat when they want and what they want, and oddly enough they have pretty healthy diets. Except the biscuits i stashed but ds1 found grrrrr

snala Sat 27-Jun-09 23:55:16

Im gonna have an 18 month age gap,people look at me like we are mad when they see ds and bump!
It really winds me up - especially when they say 'your gonna have your hands full' Cos havin one is oh so easy!! Is it that bad? angry

yousaidit Sat 27-Jun-09 23:59:13

best advice i was given to deal with dsc (23m age gap): as far as elder dc goes: 'pick your battles': don't bother telling them off over everything, you'll just sound like a constant moaning person! grin

i use to get dd to do anything to involve her with ds so she was helping him and doing 'big jobs' for mummy, put all the nappies and wipes in a tub she could get to so she could get me ds's nappies etc nd i'd tell her what a fab big job she had done, how helpful she was etc etc...grin

snala Sun 28-Jun-09 00:04:43

TLE I cant even get ds to eat meat. The odd bit of ham thats it. I feel such a failure.
He weaned really well and tried everything.Now back to square one. Wont even eat lumps off a spoon. Is excellent with finger food though- if its on his short list of foods he will eat!!blush

snala Sun 28-Jun-09 00:10:01

Yeah, thats what i thought.We keep telling him his baby will love his big brother and his baby is coming soon.

yousaidit Sun 28-Jun-09 00:13:36

oh, loads of presents from the baby magically seem to go down weel! grin

we have the grandparents to thanki for dd being overwhelmed with fantastically gaudy night garden and peppa pig pj's and dvds and teddys etc etc. good luck with the food battle and your pg, snala.

snala Sun 28-Jun-09 00:17:56

Thanks for the advice! Off for shut eye. 6am will soon be here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now