Talk

Advanced search

Extra iron

(6 Posts)
makedoandmend Sat 27-Jun-09 08:58:55

I usually give my 7mo weetabix and whole milk for breakfast but someone mentioned the other day that it might be an idea to give her iron fortified cereal. She's bf and I haven't given her any vitamin drops. I suppose iron fortified cereal is a good way to get extra iron in - what do/did you do at this age for extra iron? And anyone know any good iron fortified cereals (frankly the cereal aisle always makes my head implode - there are so many and a lot seem to be full of crap)

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:02:58

I did nothing. Don't worry about it. Just feed a normal diet.

Seona1973 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:19:25

weetabix is iron fortified - it is on the ingredients list

makedoandmend Sat 27-Jun-09 09:29:49

Seona1973 - the one we have isn't - just checked the label - it's the organic one - will check out the non-organic variety.

Thanks hercules1 I'll stop worrying then

StirlingTheStrong Sat 27-Jun-09 19:00:33

Does this help?

Recommended daily dietary intake of iron
Infants: 0.26 milligrams/L of breast milk. Iron in formula is much less bioavailable (only 10-20% that of breast milk) so intake will need to be significantly higher)

Children: 10 milligrams (girls 14-18 yrs 15milligrams)

Adult men: 8 milligrams

Adult women: 18 milligrams

Pregnancy (2nd and 3rd trimesters): 27 milligrams

Lactation: 10 milligrams

Personally, I agree with Hercules - The baby will be getting enough from your milk and the food currently offered.

Dont worry smile

makedoandmend Sun 28-Jun-09 11:40:49

Thanks Stirling - I actually ended up getting another weetabix anyway as I had to get a new box and the non-organic one is iron fortified. But your info makes me feel a lot better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now