Talk

Advanced search

I made 'real' corned beef hash tonight for the first time ever - oh, it was yum!

(5 Posts)
Fruitbeard Thu 25-Jun-09 23:37:43

My mum's version of CBH involved mash potatoes and corned beef, all forked together and served with baked beans. I always assumed that was how it was done.

Tonight I made it 'properly' with tomatoes, onions, a dash of worcester sauce and chopped up potatoes, topped with a fried egg - oh, wow, it was sooo gorgeous! Why has it taken me 42 years to realise that CBH isn't a soggy bland mush that needs beans to make it taste of something?

(mind you, I had to leave home before I realised that salad did not have to consist of 1 lettuce leaf, 3 slices of beetroot, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cucumber, half a tomato and an egg, all covered in salad cream....grin)

lol grin
Would love the 'proper' recipe for the cbh.
My brother used to make this for me when I lived with him years ago. IT involved tinned spag instead of the beans iirc hmm

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 26-Jun-09 11:31:40

I would love proper recipe too- my 'recipe' is exactly the same as your mums! blush

Fruitbeard Fri 26-Jun-09 12:24:49

Okay, here we are (this is from Lindsay Bareham's A Wolf In the Kitchen - fab book)

Serves 2 hungry people
20 mins prep, 30 mins cooking
requires a large frying pan and a saucepan

500g potatoes, charlotte or other waxy sort for preference
3 tbsp cooking oil, lard or dripping
2 small onions or a bunch of spring onions
4 tbsp passata or 2 tbps tomato ketchup or 4 medium tomatoes (I used passata as I had some spare)
1 large can corned beef, approx 350g
2 tbps worcester sauce
2 eggs
The recipe also specified 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley but I didn't have any and didn't feel it lacked it.

Put the spuds unpeeled in a pan, cover with water and boil for 15 mins until tender

Peel & finely chop the onions, add to the frying pan with 1 tbsp of the cooking fat and cook for 6-8 mins on medium heat until soft and brown in places

If using real tomatoes, chop them quite small, deseeding/deskinning if you want.

Chop the corned beef into small, kebab-sized chunks.

By now your spuds should be done - put the pan under the cold water tap and let it run for a couple of minutes. Peel the spuds, dice into medium smallish chunks (smaller than the beef)

Push onions to the side of the pan, add 1 tbsp of the cooking fat, add the potatoes, then put the onions on top of the spuds and cook for 5 mins over a brisk heat.

Add the corned beef, tomatoes/passata/ketchup and the worcester sauce. Season with pepper (plenty of salt in the corned beef), stir and leave to cook for 5 minutes.

Scoop up the bottom layer (if you can!) so the hash is more or less turned over and cook for a further 10 mins.

Divide the hash out onto two hot plates and using the final tbsp of fat, quickly fry the eggs.

Place an egg on top of each hash and sprinkle with the parsley (if using).

Yum

mmmmmmmmmmm thank you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now