Talk

Advanced search

Is Abel & Cole the best organic veg delivery?

(15 Posts)
berri Thu 25-Jun-09 19:36:12

I've just looked on their website and noticed that they do a baby box which would be handy for my 7mo ds - any reviews? Or are there other cheaper organic companies which you'd recommend?

Babbity Thu 25-Jun-09 19:37:18

I think Riverford is cheaper - we've used them for two years and are v pleased with them.

notnowbernard Thu 25-Jun-09 19:39:11

I've only ever used 1 company which is a local one based 6 miles up the road

I pay £9.50 for a small box which lasts me and DP and the dds (5 and 2) the week

I like the fact that I am supporting local business and local farmers (all produce is sourced at county level only)

sarah293 Thu 25-Jun-09 19:40:05

Message withdrawn

SomeGuy Thu 25-Jun-09 19:43:37

didn't think abel & cole were great, they had some slightly manky produce. But they are good for a free trial or two, some vouchers floating about if you google for them.

babyOcho Thu 25-Jun-09 22:15:18

I have tried Able & Cole, but find that Riverford are far better.

Dozeynoo Thu 25-Jun-09 23:09:49

I think Able & Cole are good if you are just starting out with a veg box as you can be quite picky as to what veg you want to exclude, you can even exclude stuff just for one week.

However I found I didn't get much for my money and the food didn't last. I switched to what is now 'Boxfreshorganics' and the equivalent box cost me less but had more in it.

islandofsodor Thu 25-Jun-09 23:53:35

I used Abel & Cole for several months and found that their veg was not at all fresh and went mouldy in less than a week, things like carrots etc.

I now use Riverford and the quality is great.

berri Fri 26-Jun-09 13:06:10

Ok will give Riverford a look - thanks for your replies.

Sheeta Fri 26-Jun-09 13:08:23

IME Abel & Cole stuff wasn't up to much. All the veg was very squashed up, the mushrooms were always old and mushed and it just wasn't that nice.

Riverford are cheaper and the boxes seem to be packed more carefully, and the veg fresher.

hocuspontas Fri 26-Jun-09 13:12:17

We use a local one in Essex - Sunrise Organics. Agree with bernard about supporting local farmers.

BlueChampagne Fri 26-Jun-09 13:38:51

We also use a local one - COFCO (S Cambs).

burningupinspeed Fri 26-Jun-09 13:45:01

Oh this is disappointing to read, just got my first Abel & Cole box, it all looks good but we'll see if it keeps I guess...

easyroutemum Fri 26-Jun-09 21:15:19

We have used Abel and Cole and been completely happy with them. The veg lasts ages as we don't always use it up in the week. I also like the fact that you can be picky about what you have.

applepudding Fri 26-Jun-09 21:26:42

I have used Abel and Cole for about 2 years and have always been happy with the produce, although I agree that veg like carrots needs putting in the fridge otherwise it goes soft and wrinkly in a couple of days. I have also been impressed with the response of the customer services team.

However, I have not tried any of the competitors so I couldn't say if they were better or not.

I have a small mixed box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now