Talk

Advanced search

Ideas- spinach and chickpeas...

(15 Posts)
Bucharest Thu 25-Jun-09 12:27:14

OK, Mother Hubbardy time of week...pasta and pesto tonight, but dp will be starving and want something else....what can I do with a tin of chickpeas and spinach..I'm sure there's a proper, famous dish somewhere that uses a combo of these????

Wigeon Thu 25-Jun-09 12:34:43

Chickpea and spinach curry? Add some tinned toms and chuck in a few spices, have with rice?

A kind of pilaf - basmati or long grain (or even chuck in a bit of wild) rice, chickpeas, spinach, cumin seeds, ground coriander, diced fried onion, either do on the hob or stick in the oven for a bit? And maybe add in another veg you have lying around.

Woooozle100 Thu 25-Jun-09 12:36:05

not sure of that

but I would slowly simmer chick peas in tin of tomatoes for 15 mins. Then I would mix 3 tablespoon of red wine vinager with 1 and half - 2 spoons of sugar and add this to tomatoey chick peas. Cook for another 10 minutes v slow and add spinach nearish the end (about 2 mins to cook)

would do some rice / cous cous to go with it

Woooozle100 Thu 25-Jun-09 12:39:04

not sure of that was to op - about famous recipe btw. Not rubbishing yr curry Wigeon

parsley goes with mine as well

phdlife Thu 25-Jun-09 12:40:31

toast some cumin seeds; when they're fragrant add an onion and a garlic, sautee til soft/golden, add chickpeas, spinach, a squeeze of lemon juice and splash of soy. done.

this works with any combo of greens. we had celery, broccoli stem, mange tout (snow peas), zucchini and cabbage in ours last night.

suwoo Thu 25-Jun-09 12:42:30

I do exactly what wigeon describes quite regularly but I put cous cous and extra water in and do it in one big pan. One tin of spinach, one tin of chick peas and one tin of tomatoes and a load of cous cous- makes masses!

HuffwardlyRudge Thu 25-Jun-09 12:43:55

Mmmmmmmm. Channa sag.

Cies Thu 25-Jun-09 12:44:22

There's a Spanish dish which is chickpeas with spinach.

Basically you need stock, onion, garlic, some veg like potato and carrot if you've got it, spinach, chickpeas and paprika.

You sweat the onion and garlic in some oil. Add a tablespoon of paprika and take it off the heat.

In a separate pot put your potato and carrot chopped up small. Add enough stock to make the end product a very watery stew or a very solid soup!. Simmer till your potato is nearly done. Add the chickpeas and spinach and let the spinach wilt. Finally add the paprika onion mix, and check the seasoning.

Mistymoo Thu 25-Jun-09 12:49:06

I have this in my favourites but haven't tried it

Sounds nice anyway

Bucharest Thu 25-Jun-09 13:03:32

Hmmm, all of these sound good....I'm out of potatoes, carrots and onions as well (told you it was MH week) I do have the spices.....and the toms...and bread...might try some sort of combination of the bready thing and the curry thing!
Cheers lovelies!

notamumyetbutoneday Thu 25-Jun-09 13:18:32

do you have chorizo? made a gorgeous (if i say so myself) chorizo, chickpea and spinach stew thing last week.

Bucharest Thu 25-Jun-09 13:27:24

I don't, but the shop next door does a spicy salami.....Might pop round and get some of that...smile

notamumyetbutoneday Thu 25-Jun-09 13:54:50

I'm sure that would work too- I used quite a small amount of chorizo but it gave the whole dish a really nice smoky flavour. Added plenty of paprika too!

Wigeon Thu 25-Jun-09 21:22:41

Hope it was good! And nice enough whereever you are to eat outside!

Bucharest Fri 26-Jun-09 07:41:18

Update....fried fresh over-ripe tomatoes in olive oil, garlic, chili, cumin and coriander seeds, a splosh of white wine vinegar and soy sauce (just hurled in a slug or pinch of whatever was in the cupboard basically) passed the mixture through mouli jobby to get rid of skins....added chickpeas and spinach.....Dp ate 3 bowls and I've a bowl left for me to eat with rice at lunchtime today!
Brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now