Talk

Advanced search

WELSH CAKES

(14 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Sat 14-May-05 11:49:34

Gonna have a go at making some Welsh Cakes this afternoon for the first time. My dm, being a welsh woman, used to make these loads and I loved them.
Any tips from you lovely Welsh people out there?

Thomcat Sat 14-May-05 19:22:10

Ohhh, that gave me a massive lump in my throat. My nan was welsh and made these all the time, we used to call them 'nanny goat cakes', ohhh I wish she was here to make me some now.
Hope yours were lovley.

yoyo Sat 14-May-05 19:57:21

Sparkler - I have a few recipes for them but haven't yet found "the one". The most important thing is the temp of the griddle pan and not to make them too thick. Like pancakes, be prepared to bin the first few. Oh, and don't use too much butter to grease the griddle (I wipe it over with the butter packet).

If you are ever in Swansea go to the covered market and try them hot off the griddle there. Perfect (as long as they don't sprinkle them with sugar).

moondog Sat 14-May-05 20:09:23

My MIL (Welsh like me!) makes fantastic ones. Think the recipe is top secret unfortunately....

happymerryberries Sat 14-May-05 20:11:19

Oh, I have my grandmothers prize winning recipe

What is it worth?????????

Gotta have a griddle or a bakestone to make them though

tiptop Sat 14-May-05 20:35:25

Oooh!!! If anyone is making Welsh cakes, please can they invite ds and I over for afternoon tea? I like mine with currants and sugar or else plain except for the jam and coconut strands on the top. TIA!

happymerryberries Sat 14-May-05 20:42:11

Right, Proper Welsh cakes

2 oz butter
2 oz lard (or vegi option if you must!)
8 oz SR flour

Mix to bread crumbs. Now mix in 1.5 oz of vanilla sugar (my addition the vanilla bit!)

'Enough' mixed dried friut

Bind together with one egg.

Roll out to about 0.8 cm thick and cut. Cook on bake stone until the side on the stone starts to turn a whitish colour. Flip and cook on the other side. Pat them down as they rise

Cook and dust with castor sugar.

Pah on Jam!

Hausfrau Sat 14-May-05 20:57:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pixiefish Sat 14-May-05 21:02:28

i used to make the in a flat heavy bottom frypan and they were delish

happymerryberries Sat 14-May-05 21:07:38

It's OK Hausfrau, I snuck out 25 years ago!

OK in a heavy frying pan but we purists like our bakestone

yoyo Sat 14-May-05 21:47:29

HMB and Moondog - see what I mean?!

HMB - laughed when I saw "enough dried fruit" as this is exactly the amount MIL uses in hers!

SPARKLER1 Sat 14-May-05 22:05:03

Well for a first time maker the welsh cakes were pretty damn good. Quite chuffed with myself. I have must have more welsh blood in me than I realised
They are so simple to make. Took the ones I made to my great-auntie's birthday tea this afternoon so gonna make some more for us tomorrow. Yummity.
Very simple to make.

OldieMum Sat 14-May-05 23:03:03

I reached adulthood before tasting a cold Welsh cake - we always scoffed them as my mother made them!

happymerryberries Sun 15-May-05 08:37:52

Everyone knows that the best welsh cakes are always made by your mum, eaten warm , with a glass of milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now