Talk

Advanced search

Can we invent a new dish with these ingredients?

(8 Posts)
clumsymum Wed 24-Jun-09 17:01:32

DS has had tea already, as his friend has come round.

Searching for ideas for dh & I to have. In the fridge I have a bag of gnocchi & a pot of creme fraiche on their use-by dates, + a glut of green peppers.

I have onions etc, the usual store cupboard stuff, and I have salad stuff but no lettuce (sains delivery didn't have any lettuce).

Inspiration ideas please.

HeadFairy Wed 24-Jun-09 17:08:50

Do you have any tinned salmon? I do a gnocchi dish with creme fraiche, smoked salmon (but reckon tinned would do) some lemon juice and some dill (not sure if you'd have that lying around )

Alternatively, could you oven bake some tomatoes (slowly) with some garlic in olive oil, add to gnocchi and shave some parmesan over it if you have any. Any rocket? You could add that too.

Or make a tomato sauce, using tinned toms, onions, chargrilled peppers (using a squewer "cook" them over a gas ring until the skin blackens and bubbles, put them in a plastic food bag or on a plate which you then cover with clingfilm, leave to cool and then peel the skin off. De-seed and slice in to tomato sauce) and plenty of garlic.

HeadFairy Wed 24-Jun-09 17:09:22

Do you have any tinned salmon? I do a gnocchi dish with creme fraiche, smoked salmon (but reckon tinned would do) some lemon juice and some dill (not sure if you'd have that lying around )

Alternatively, could you oven bake some tomatoes (slowly) with some garlic in olive oil, add to gnocchi and shave some parmesan over it if you have any. Any rocket? You could add that too.

Or make a tomato sauce, using tinned toms, onions, chargrilled peppers (using a squewer "cook" them over a gas ring until the skin blackens and bubbles, put them in a plastic food bag or on a plate which you then cover with clingfilm, leave to cool and then peel the skin off. De-seed and slice in to tomato sauce) and plenty of garlic. Add tomato sauce to gnocchi.

HeadFairy Wed 24-Jun-09 17:09:22

Or make a tomato sauce, using tinned toms, onions, chargrilled peppers (using a squewer "cook" them over a gas ring until the skin blackens and bubbles, put them in a plastic food bag or on a plate which you then cover with clingfilm, leave to cool and then peel the skin off. De-seed and slice in to tomato sauce) and plenty of garlic. Add tomato sauce to gnocchi.

HeadFairy Wed 24-Jun-09 17:11:10

Blimey, sorry about that. Crazy computer!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 24-Jun-09 17:52:05

Can of tuna could work also-some spinach might be nice.

maria1665 Wed 24-Jun-09 18:00:13

Lovely pasta sauce dish - think I got it from Good Food Magazine years ago.

Chop onions and fry for a few mins.

Chop green peppers and fry - til soft. (I usually use courgettes here put I am sure green peppers will be ok if you cook them long and slow enough.

Add chopped bacon approx 6 rashers.

Add a large handful of frozen peas.

When bacon and peas cooked, stir in creme fraiche (approx 4 tbl spoons)

Grate over parmesan cheese and black pepper.

This is lovely with spaghetti, but I bet it would work with gnocchi too.

clumsymum Fri 26-Jun-09 09:36:54

Maria, thanks, your recipe ticked all the boxes, we had everything, so cooked that and it was delicious.

Mind you we used cubed pancetta instead of bacon, which had the unfortunate effect of making it look like cat-sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now