Talk

Advanced search

OY! Stop making casual references to making butter from milk...

(13 Posts)
theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 22-Jun-09 20:25:29

And please - pretty please - tell me how to do it?

Have googled, but all the sites I find tell me I should have bought a cow and kept the milk out of the fridge since last week. Or something.

Help?

AMumInScotland Mon 22-Jun-09 20:29:28

You have to start with very creamy milk - fullfat or better. Stick some in a screwtop jar and shake it. For ages. You'll end up with butter and buttermilk.

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 22-Jun-09 20:33:29

Oh thank you! Does it have to be cold or room temperature?

kickassangel Mon 22-Jun-09 20:38:29

just be careful - dd's class did this & it was rock hard! i think they got a bit enthusiastic, and over churned it.

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 22-Jun-09 20:39:48

What sort of quantity could you get from a pint of full-fat? Am actually wondering whether I can get enough buttermilk for scone-making...

AMumInScotland Mon 22-Jun-09 20:40:40

I can't remember - we did it when I was a kid sometimes. I don't remember my mum getting it out of the fridge beforehand, so I think we just did it straight from the fridge. You can also end up with butter if you put cream in your mixer to whip it, and leave it too long.... that's always cold when I whip it, so i don't think the temperature can be important.

Meglet Mon 22-Jun-09 20:41:03

my dad made me and my sister do this on special occasions (xmas, relatives coming over) when they wanted us to be quiet and keep out of the way for a while. I remember we used to spend all xmas morning shaking a jar of milk / butter smile. It was very tasty.

lou031205 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:41:46

Oh, and don't let your mum send you in with a soda-stream bottle, because she couldn't find a jam jar - you won't be able to get the butter out <<shudders at childhood memory>>

AMumInScotland Mon 22-Jun-09 20:41:54

I don't remember quantity either.... you could probably work out how much weight of milk would have the same fat content as the amount of butter you wanted?

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 22-Jun-09 20:42:46

LOL lou - I shan't let my Mum send me anywhere with a sodastream bottle grin

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 22-Jun-09 20:43:19

Thanks all! Tomorrow's planned activity now planned smile

JackBauer Mon 22-Jun-09 21:06:39

Add a marble if you don't want it to take as long...

hanaflower Tue 23-Jun-09 17:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now