Talk

Advanced search

Fromage Frais pouches - help me decide if I should give them to my DC

(13 Posts)
Sullwah Mon 22-Jun-09 16:26:45

Sainsburys and Tesco do these ownbrand pouches that basically contain the same ingredients - so I guess made by the same manufacturer. They are really handy when out and about as my 16 month old DTs just suck them out of the tube and are therefore a stress-free way of feeding them.

I just can't figure out if these contain any sugar - or other nasties that I should not give to my DTs. They generally have a healthy diet so I am not bothered about having the occasional chemical cocktail - but just want to be aware of how bad this is IFSWIM.

Fromage Frais
De-ionised fruit juice (what is this?)
Strawberry Puree (10%)
Miaze Starch
Calcium lactate
Thickener: Guar Gum
Natural flavourings
Concentrated Lemon Juice

Also - WHAT exactly is fromage frais and how does it compare nutrionally to giving the DTs yogurt?

Thanks,

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 16:32:19

They are overpackaged and therefore not environmentally friendly, you also pay more. Could you not just get a tub of plain yogurt, then mush up some fruit an mix it together? Then you know exctly what's in it.

IIRC, guar gum's nasty stuff!

OrmIrian Mon 22-Jun-09 16:33:35

We had some Yeo Valley ones. Seemed OK. Still a lot of packaging though but undoubtedly convenient blush

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 22-Jun-09 16:37:16

I don't like the idea that children put these things into their mouths tbh. I'd be washing them first and couldn't be bothered with it. Also, bought fruit yoghurt is full of sugar even if it says it's not(caused by the process I believe)and making your own fruit yoghurts up is far more healthy.

Fluffy's right too; guar gum is not good.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 22-Jun-09 16:37:53

I eat yoghurt or fromage frais that just has 'milk' on the ingredients list.

We don't take yoghurt when out and about bananas etc are much easier and no long list of ingredients.

Sorry but I get really angry at manufacturers flogging us stuff full of additives but dressing it up as some kind of healthy option.

Guar gum used to be used as a diet aid I think its a starchy thing.

Nutritionally fromage frais is still a milk product but you need to check for ones with less ingredients and made with wholemilk for a 16m old.

Sullwah Mon 22-Jun-09 16:40:54

FBGB - as I said in my OP, I use these when out and about with my twins. Happy to do the plain yogurt and fruit thing at home when I have loads of time and can clean up the mess. But these are good when we are out - as I just hand them one each and they get on with it and make no mess.

I am just looking for views on the ingredients - not on the concept.

littleducks Mon 22-Jun-09 16:45:53

i give the yeo valley organic ones to my kids, they are very £££ so dont do it alot but they are 'Free from artificial flavourings, sweeteners or preservatives' so i use them

LadyOfWaffle Mon 22-Jun-09 16:46:57

I have just bought the Yeo Valley ones. I'll write out ther ingredients for you...

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 16:47:48

I really can't see why it needs natural flavourings and strawberry pure in it myself.
De-ionized fruit juice is fruit juice that's been messed with (it's had something done to it to remove the ions in the water molecules), alot like the de-ionized water you stick in your car!
I'm sure there was some stuff on Guar Gum, IIRRC, it's nasty stuff.

imaginewittynamehere Mon 22-Jun-09 16:49:16

I used these for dd1 too when out & about. They don't have added sugar & I decided the additional ingredients weren't so bad that they outweighed the super convenience of messless yogurt.
I believe the fromage frais is made from whole milk & nutritionally the same as yogurt. The only problem with them is weaning dd1, who is now nearly 3 & able to eat a yoghurt tidily, off them!!

LadyOfWaffle Mon 22-Jun-09 16:50:22

Strawberry /Apricot/Raspberry:
Organic Wholemilk Yoghurt (84%)
Organic Strawberry/apricot/raspberry Puree (9%)
Organic Sugar
Organic Tapioca Starch
Natural Flavouring
Organic Concentrated Lemon Juice

oysterpots Mon 22-Jun-09 19:20:37

If you want something similar but more pure you could use Ella's Kitchen fruit pouches?

Am in France at the mo and they are puree pouch CRAZY. They even sell them at the supermarket checkout bit. Weird. But yes, v convenient.

BTW I think the Sainsbury's Kids range fromage frais are one of the only ones that contain no added sugar. Not suitable for out and about as they are in normal yogurt pots but IIRC they are the best value sugar-free ones around. Did lots and lots of research... blush

Sullwah Mon 22-Jun-09 19:45:28

LOW - thanks for that. I hadn't seen Yeo Valley pouches - but want to avoid the added sugar if possible

OP - Thanks for the tip on the Sainsburys kid range. I think the pouches I use are part of that range.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now