Talk

Advanced search

I made my own pasta for the first time last night!

(10 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Jun-09 22:01:49

It was surprisingly easy - although hard work rolling it out.

Ravioli stuffed with crab, with a lemon, parsley and garlic butter sauce (courtesy of Rick Stein).

It's one of those things I've avoided doing for some reason - no idea why!

Next time I'll get the pasta machine out and have a go at using that. I've only had the thing for about 20 years!

BCNS Sun 21-Jun-09 22:06:11

YAY !

I am in love with my pasta machine

BCNS Sun 21-Jun-09 22:07:33

ohhh can I pinch the crab ravioli from you for my tomorrows dinner..

tell me more about it .. pleaseee...

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 22:08:05

Thank you very much. It's after ten, and now you've made me hungry grin

Sounds fab - I love hand made lasagne, it's so much silkier than bought.

Try the Gary Rhodes (hiss boo, I hate him so much, but there are around 8 of his recipes I regularly use) asparagus, undyed smoked haddock, and quail egg pasta stack - it's yonks since I've made it and I've probably misremembered the ingredients, but it was very very yum.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Jun-09 22:14:49

serves 4

175g/6 oz fresh white crab meat
1 tbs melted butter
pinch cayenne pepper
salt/black pepper

for the pasta:

225g/8oz plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium eggs
2 medium egg yolks

for the butter:

100g/4oz butter
2 tbss chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped

Pasta:

Put the ingredients into the food processor and blend until they come together in a dough.

Tip onto a work surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.

Wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest for 10-15 mins

Filling:

Mix all ingredients together and season to taste

You're supposed to make 30 small ravioli out of this, but I couldn't do it - instead I made 10 large ravioli.

Cook for 4 minutes in fast boiling, salted water.

Recipe is from Rick Stein's Seafood Lover's Guide.

BCNS Sun 21-Jun-09 22:20:18

ohhhh thank you!!

yummy!! well that's tomorrows din din sorted then < happens to have some crab and other ingerdients knocking about!>

meltedmarsbars Mon 22-Jun-09 21:10:54

You do not need a food processor to make pasta! Its just as easy (and less washing up) to use the table and your hands.

And much more hands on ho ho

Lucifera Tue 23-Jun-09 13:05:06

I made pasta for the first time last year, took me about 3 hours to make enough for 4 (half-moon shapes stuffed with feta and butternut squash). I was so proud, I took a photo on my phone and showed to all my work colleagues (sad, eh?). However have not made any since ...

BCNS Tue 23-Jun-09 13:58:03

just a quick note to say.. yummy that was a fab dinner!

I got 25 ravioli out of it, with a teaspoon ish of crab in each.. which was plenty to feed 5 of us.

I did cut down on the garlic used and upped the lemon a tad.. just personal taste here.

took about an 45 min to do but that was with the resting time for the pasta dough.

so thank you again.. great stuff.. and it's now in my note pas I use for recipies

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 25-Jun-09 08:31:09

Good for you! I found the crab mixture too fiddly to make small ravioli out of it, which is why I made 10 large ones instead.

Really easy, apart from that, and lovely. I'll definitely keep that one in my dinner party repertoire!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now