Talk

Advanced search

How difficult is it to cook eggs benedict?

(14 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 08:58:59

For my darling DH, if he ever surfaces?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 10:41:32

Anyone? Should I just do scrambled eggs and be done with it?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 10:43:38

The recipe am looking at says I need shallots hmm Do i really? I don;t have any? Onions? Or nothing?

Its not like I got all day, DH wants to go watch gp on the big screen in town at 1pm sad. I might just do a bacon sarnie grin

Malkuth Sun 21-Jun-09 10:48:33

Delia doesn't use shallots! The hollandaise looks a bit faffy to me but not as hard as I thought it would be. You could do him a homemade Egg McMuffin type thing which is much the same as eggs benedict except you use a slice of cheese instead of sauce!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 10:51:26

phew! No shallots then grin

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 11:08:17

AAAAH no clean glass bowl!!!!
What can be used instead?

Malkuth Sun 21-Jun-09 11:13:08

Why do you need a glass bowl?! I am now fascinated by your recipe! I'd use a pottery one as I only have glass jelly moulds. I would imagine the glass thing is so there is no grease on it so as long as you avoid plastic it should be ok.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 11:26:56

Oh dear my DH has the hump and has gone off into another room.

He had suggested using something other than glass, on the basis of guess work, with no theory to back it up. I said I did not want to take the chance. I then said 'i asked MN but they have not got back to me' and he said 'so you will take the advice of complete strangers over me?' I said, no I am asking people who have cooked it before, I am taking advice off those with more experience than me. He said 'no, you think I am a fuckwit'

And walked off sad oh dear.

Malkuth Sun 21-Jun-09 12:02:58

I'm sorry sad. Hope he gets over it soon and you have a nice day.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 21-Jun-09 12:34:14

He got over it grin I told him I just wanted to make him breakfast on my own. He is a good cook mostly and as such he always interferes has suggestions to improve whatever I am doing and it makes me feel a bit inadequate. So I wanted to do it myself and I told him that, a special breakfast.

The sauce was a distaster. luckily we had an emergency packet in the cupboard which while not perfect at all, was a good emergency! The poached eggs were perfect though, at least his and DDs were grin

And now he has happily gone off to watch gp in town, I will meet him in a mo when we have bathed and dressed (cooking was soooooo stressful, i need some time grin)

Malkuth Sun 21-Jun-09 14:11:19

Glad it all worked out. Am very impressed at the emergency hollandaise in the cupboard!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sun 21-Jun-09 16:29:54

My kids grew up thinking hollandaise sauce was holidays sauce. grin I think it's a bit diff.

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 16:33:12

I just wanted to interject that I love eggs benedict dearly.

Delia's foaming hollandaise is handy if you have a houseful - if I have all the in-laws at once I make benedict because once you've done the sauce, if you do the Delia poached egg method it's only really dressed up bacon & eggs with toast, but looks so much more [big-head show-off emoticon]

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 22-Jun-09 17:21:31

oh snigger - i will try that recipe next time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now