Talk

Advanced search

Did anything taste as good, in your whole life, as the toast they gave you in the labour suite?

(50 Posts)
snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 21:26:57

I say this because last night, out on a jaunt, we got to our hotel at 2.30am after a night-bus journey forced on us by sheer lack of taxis.

The night manager, after laughing at us and our inability to find a clean, open take-out, made us toast.

Damn it was good - but still by shades less good than that post-birth toast and tea.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Sat 20-Jun-09 21:28:06

No idea, was too busy trying not to throw up, so DH hoovered it up hmm

Uriel Sat 20-Jun-09 21:28:48

Oh you're right. And boy didn't we deserve it! grin

truthisinthewine Sat 20-Jun-09 21:29:30

No idea DP at mine....both times!

Washersaurus Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:01

DH ate all mine I had to ask for some more!

Mintyy Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:09

Was not given any sad

moopymoo Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:54

oh god i remember that toast was amazing plus hot sweet tea that i never drink. that sense of having survived it all and some sort of new normality (with addition!)

frasersmummy Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:54

I got tea and toast with ds1. I dont remember the toast.. but the tea was wonderful.

I remember laughing cos it was a silver teaset (presumably not real silver ) on a tray with a white embroidered cloth on it .. very posh

I never got tea or toast with ds2 .. never realised till days later.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 20-Jun-09 21:31:41

I never had any either...but the midwife (who was fab) made me some at the start of labour and it really helped me through dd2's birth. I wolfed it down.

Lizzylou Sat 20-Jun-09 21:31:42

DH ate mine, both times.
I couldn't stomach food at all.
I think with DS1 I didn't eat for about 4 days (what with labour and then post labour nausea).
I have made up for it since though.

snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 21:32:35

"DP ate it" - shock shock shock

OMG - DH knew I'd be wearing his manbits as earrings if he breathed on it.

Juwesm Sat 20-Jun-09 21:34:14

I DID NOT GET ANY angry

I got untoasted bread for breakfast hours later shock

Lizzylou Sat 20-Jun-09 21:34:34

Oh, I got loads of cups of tea throughout labour and I am a coffee drinker normally

4 catheters later........

Lulumama Sat 20-Jun-09 21:35:22

best tea and toast i've ever had

i have had lots of tea and toast on labour ward when working and it does never ,ever taste as good, no matter how tired i am.

it is definitely some post birth tastebud hormone thingie!!

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 20-Jun-09 21:35:50

Why did it taste soooo good hmm hmm

snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 21:36:17

None is worse than DP ate it.

Midwife felt kindly towards DH (he hammed up his level of sacrifice in having to postpone his sandwich run because I was, er, pushing) and made him some too. I ate it.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 21:38:06

OH my! Do they drug it? I was actually looking forward to it during my 2nd labour blush With my little tubs of jam grin I got up so fast to get at it I was swaying... Heaven just isn't the word. [dribble]grin

NorbertDentressangle Sat 20-Jun-09 21:39:30

I remember it being fantastic too.

When I had DS the midwife I had was so lovely she made a plate of toast for DP too.

squeaver Sat 20-Jun-09 21:39:55

OMG, the best ever. And the tea! Like nectar.

snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 21:41:18

I think maybe they do drug it grin

I remember lying there, ignoring the indignity of the very wonderful lady washing me from the waist down, thinking "Stop talking to me, this toast is great".

It was undoubtedly Flora on there, but it tasted like newly milked Jersey-heaven on a knife.

CMOTdibbler Sat 20-Jun-09 21:42:32

Didn't get any. In fact, they didn't actually give me any food in my entire stay (6 days). Serves me right for having a medically restricted diet in a hospital eh ?

My doula made me some tea, but I chucked it all back up again

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 16:12:25

I just told DH about this thread, and, 9 years later, he's confessed after I ate his toast and mine, he told on me to his 'pet' midwife, and she smuggled him some more!

Confession is good for the soul, I guess, or maybe he's heard of the MN jury grin

MrsKitty Sun 21-Jun-09 16:23:32

I didn't get any either angry and I was STARVING.

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 16:26:45

I think that was very bad form of your hospital - I've never experienced anything like post-labour hunger.

The ward I went to with DD1 pre-ordered the next days lunch for me - pineapple & cottage cheese salad, anyone? I called DH and begged for food, he assumed I was being greedy and brought me a fruit basket angry.

I could have eaten a cow, raw.

lockets Sun 21-Jun-09 16:30:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now