Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for healthy snacks for a constanly hungry 19 month old?

(11 Posts)
summerparade Sat 20-Jun-09 20:53:11

My ds1 now 3 3/4 has always had a poor appetite so never really went down tghe snacks between meals route as I've always had enough trouble getting him to eat meals! However ds2 is always hungry. He always eats all his dinner including either a pudding or second helpings!! He is also always hungry inbetween and I tend to just reach for the biscuit tin and give him a biscuit which is not the healthiest thing to do I know!

He now constantly says bi bi ( his word for biscuits) and one is never enough. I want to break this cycle and start to offer more healthier snacks either instead or as well. I feel that his appetite is so hearty that if I don't I could be storing up problems. THere are no weight issues though mainly because he is so active! Anyone got any suggestions?

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Jun-09 20:55:33

portion of cheese
crackers or oatcakes either plain or with some peanut butter/humous
breadsticks
cherry tomatoes
portion of fruit
milk

AttillaTheHan Sat 20-Jun-09 20:56:34

How about Fruit, breadsticks with dip (houmous or philidelphia etc), potato cakes, rice cakes (this is the closest we get to biscuits for our 13 month old), cereal - either dry or with milk.
Erm can't think of anymore at the mo.

plimple Sat 20-Jun-09 20:56:53

bread sticks/oatcakes/rice cakes we call them biscuits. Raisins, toast, toast with marmite, with cheese. I look after a little boy who used to eat tonnes and would get very grumpy in the afternoon without quite a large snack e.g. cheese on toast and would still eat his dinner. Now (22 months) he settles for a breadstick and fruit and isn't grumpy or hungry.

ja9 Sat 20-Jun-09 20:56:57

bread sticks
rice cakes
veg sticks - carrot, peppers, cucumber and dips?
cheese cubes or babybel type things

chopped fruit / grapes / bananas
raisins and other dried fruit
pancakes

plimple Sat 20-Jun-09 20:57:26

shreddies are good "biscuits"

Holymoly321 Sat 20-Jun-09 20:58:37

Hi Summer - my 18mth old is very similar to yours! I quite often make these apple flapjacks which you can batch cook and freeze. Apple Flapjacks
125g unsalted butter
75g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
350 g porridge oats
½ tsp baking powder
2 eating apples cored and grated.
50g ground toasted hazelnuts

- melt butter, syrup ad sugar in pan
- - mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add to the butter mix
- Bake for 20 mins 180C
BOth he and his 3 year old brother love them and they are cheap to make, don't have too much sugar in them and are reasonable healthy (well they've got fruit in them!) Sometimes I add chopped dried apricots or raisins too.

Meglet Sat 20-Jun-09 21:02:01

The 'grandmas groovy cheese flapjacks' on the recipes page are good. I make sure I always have frozen blueberries in the freezer so I can make home made blueberry muffins, they are so jammed full of the things the dc's go purple smile.

summerparade Sat 20-Jun-09 21:04:04

Forgot to mention that because I have got him in this habit when I offer him alternatives he says NO BI BI! and throws the alternative such as breadsticks (which he used to/usually loves) on the floor! If I don't give him the biscuits this continues and he eventually cries and throws a tantrum. THis obviously stoops when the biscuit is produced! Typing this has made me realise I shouldn't have posted on food but perhaps parenting! I never minded giving him biscuits as an occaional thing but it has now become part of his daily snack routine which I want to change. I think it started when ds1 started asking for biscuits and ds2 followed suit iyswim?

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Jun-09 21:06:46

that's simple. just stop buying biscuits for a while.
show him the tin or whatever you normally keep them in is empty and just say "no biscuits, all gone"
then offer the alternative.

he'll either take it or leave it!

summerparade Sat 20-Jun-09 21:09:01

Fantastic ideas especially the flapjacks and muffins etc. Thanks! Also shreddies idea is brilliant because he is mad on them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now