Talk

Advanced search

While it's sushi day on here, does anyone else make their own rolls?

(7 Posts)
MagNacarta Sat 20-Jun-09 18:29:15

I started recently and they are very easy and much loved by dd1, dh and myself - dd2 and ds won't even try. I'm not too good with filling varieties and tend to stick to californian or just plain old pepper/cucumber. Anyone else, any ideas for some other fillings?

slng Sat 20-Jun-09 18:50:42

We make rolls (even for DS1's packed lunch - yes it seems a bit poncy blush but after all it's only rice and cucumber and tinned fish). We do cucumber and tinned tuna or salmon fillings usually. We have also done nigiri-style at home, with smoked salmon trimmings squished higgledy-piggledy on top (when there is reduced-price smoked salmon trimmings in the supermarket.) Maybe DD2 and DS would try that? Some children don't seem to like the seaweed wrap - DS1 didn't use to.

Kathyis6incheshigh Sat 20-Jun-09 18:53:26

I have a fab book on how to make sushi which I was given by a Japanese friend - it's translated from Japanese into v bad English and is fully of kitschy ideas like panda sushi and sushi that looks like Battenberg cake.
They suggest spam as a filling for rolls....
Also sticks of sweet potato, which might be nicer!

Kathyis6incheshigh Sat 20-Jun-09 18:54:01

full of blush

MagNacarta Sat 20-Jun-09 19:03:43

hmm, do you know I can't believe it we're all out of spam this week grin. DH suggested cooked chicken, but it felt wrong somehow. Sweet potato is a good idea, will try. Daft as it may sound I'd forgotten about tuna blush dh isn't keen, but dd1 and I love it. DD has also taken sushi rolls to school, I think she likes the comments tbh.

slng Sat 20-Jun-09 19:25:23

I sometimes eat spam. blush Used to have them when I was little and sometimes have unreasonable cravings ... It would be wrong in sushi, I guess. But you could use ham though. I think that would probably be quite nice. And omelette would probably work as well.

babyOcho Sat 20-Jun-09 19:28:05

We once did avocado and crispy bacon maki.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now