Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - advice on how to prepare papaya

(9 Posts)
TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sat 20-Jun-09 17:22:44

Am in the process of preparing a papaya salsa for our BBQ tonight. The recipe says 'peel, slice and dice the papaya.'

Does anyone know should I discard the seeds or keep them?

hereidrawtheline Sat 20-Jun-09 17:24:10

grin Does this really qualify as urgent?

Sorry just made me laugh. Do you mean are you supposed to eat the seeds in the salsa? I dont know the answer just wondered if you could google it?

muggglewump Sat 20-Jun-09 17:37:11

I've never prepared one but I've eaten them and never with the seeds so I'd say chuck them.

Rindercella Sat 20-Jun-09 17:42:53

Prepare as you would an avacado. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds & discard them, then do a 'hedgehog' crisscross with the flesh, pop it up & then cut away from the skin. If it's nice, please tell me where you got it from as all the papayas I have tried here taste very woody.

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sat 20-Jun-09 17:43:50

I meant to say thanks in advance.

If you saw my kitchen, and the number of guests due to arrive, then yes, it is urgent grin

I have tried googling, to no avail - although tbh I am rubbish at searching, I've got chilli residue on my fingers, and DH is hassling me to get off the puter because he is downloading a play list.

We're are obviously very well prepared.

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sat 20-Jun-09 17:44:40

Oh, and it's due to rain. grin

wahwahwah Sat 20-Jun-09 17:44:54

The seeds are very good for your digestion (especially if you get a bloated tum). Scoop them out (discard as much fruit as you can) and roast them in the oven until they are dry and hard. Easiest to grind them in a pepper mill (new one if you have it) until it is a powder then put 1/4 teaspoon in some water and drink.

hereidrawtheline Sat 20-Jun-09 17:52:37

oh I hope you have fun! Really I can understand the urgency I just loved the chance to point out someone other than me could find crisis in food prep! grin

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sun 21-Jun-09 15:15:53

Thankyou for the advice - the papaya salsa was delicious (minus the seeds). Weather was tolerable, and we managed to stay outside all evening. Lots of wine & good company - so all in all, a great evening.

Recipe below if anyone is interested. It is from one of Paul & Jeanne Rankin's early books - Hot Food.

1 small red onion - finely chopped
boiling water
2 ripe papayas - peeled & diced without seeds
Juice of 2 limes
1 large red chilli & 1 small green (serrano) chilli - deseeded & finely chopped
50ml light olive oil
1 tbs chopped mint leaves
salt & pepper

scald the red onion by pouring boiling water over, and immediately draining. Add all the other salsa ingredients and allow flavours to combine for at least 1/2 hr before serving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now