Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know the answer to these queries about home made pizza?

(10 Posts)
Lovemyshoes Sat 20-Jun-09 15:13:38

I've recently come to realise that my dc prefer home made pizza, but, I would like them that bit better

How do I get the base to go more crispy?

Also, when i am trying to roll the dough out etc it keeps shrinking back, is there anything I can do to make it easier to roll out?

maria1665 Sat 20-Jun-09 15:24:36

Re crispy, do you roll out the dough and then let it rise - or do you let it rise in a ball, bash it around a bit and then roll it out.

If you use the second method, you are bashing the air out before you cook it and your pizza will be more crispy as a result. I think it makes the dough easier to handle as well, but this may be marginable.

In a bit of shameless publicity seeking, here is a link to my website that features a recipe for making pizzas with children. www.cookingforgirls.co.uk/recipes/homemade-pizza

deadflesh Sat 20-Jun-09 15:27:33

Do you use a pizza bake tray with holes in the base?

Also I spread a bit of olive oil arond the tray first. That helps with crispiness.

I make mine in the breadmaker and it is sometimes harder to roll out if the mixture's too dry. Maybe add a drop of olive oil to the mix?

Beachcomber Sat 20-Jun-09 15:30:28

This means being more organised than me but if you put the dough in the fridge for a few hours, or even better, overnight if makes rolling it out much easier. Also makes better pizza (words of Italain chef friend).

Olive oil good for crispiness.

Lovemyshoes Sat 20-Jun-09 16:29:30

Thank you all very much.

I will try these tips out and report back.

Lovemyshoes Tue 23-Jun-09 21:02:22

Thanks all ladies, I have cracked it thanks to you.

I left the dough in the fridge a bit longer, oiled a pizza tray(the ones with holes in) and put it directly on that.

Both dd's agreed, although it didn't taste different the new texture made it better.

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 21:07:27

stretch the dough rather than rolling it

even better than a pizza tray is a pizza stone, or so i am told.

Tinker Tue 23-Jun-09 21:13:16

A cheat's method for very quick crispy pizza is use a tortilla as the base

Beachcomber Fri 26-Jun-09 20:14:07

Yay, MN to the recue again.

Glad your DDs enjoyed it yesterday, always nice when one's offspring appreciates one's sweat and toil culinary efforts.

IlanaK Fri 26-Jun-09 20:16:57

pizza stones is the answer! We discovered them recently and cannot believe the difference they make!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now