Talk

Advanced search

Need help please with 2-tier birthday cake!

(8 Posts)
Geocentric Fri 19-Jun-09 12:08:20

DDs birthday is coming up and I want to do her a 2-tier birthday cake; I have never tried one before. I already have the baking trays but am wondering about the logistics.

I will be baking the cake the day before - do I store the layers in separate tupperwares and then put it all together with icing on the actual day, or can I put it all together the day before and stick it in the fridge? Will it all collapse overnight if I do that? WWYD?

(using buttercream icing, btw)

pigleychez Fri 19-Jun-09 14:02:35

Not a master baker or anything but personally I would store them seperately then decorate/assemble on the day.

Im sure DD will love it

Geocentric Fri 19-Jun-09 14:25:32

Thnaks, pigleychez - it does sound safer that way. More trouble on the day but less risk of it all going soggy and collapsing, I suppose.

I'll just have to add large round tupperwares to my shopping list, then!

PandaG Fri 19-Jun-09 14:27:57

do you mean 2 sponges stacked with buttercream in the middle?

if so, fine to do the day before, and no need to store in tyhe fridge either - in fact likely to go damp in the fridge.

Geocentric Fri 19-Jun-09 14:51:14

Panda, 1 larger sponge with filling underneath and one smaller sponge stacked on top, also with filling...

The fridge was really only if I iced it beforehand (being buttercream). I'm a little nervous about this as I've only ever done single layer cakes before, but have been dying to try one of these!

PandaG Fri 19-Jun-09 19:04:33

so you'll make 2 sponges, split them to fill and then stack? (or alternatively make 4 thinner cakes?)

will you cover the outside of the cake with icing? buttercream or sugarpaste?

I still think you could do it the day before, less hassle on the day. I never store buttercreamed cakes in the fridge, they are always ok - I have put in the cellar though on a really hot day!

post a pic when you have done it - I would like to see the effect smile

Geocentric Sat 20-Jun-09 01:42:30

I'm going to make 4 thinner cakes (my round tins are pretty shallow). Buttercream inside and out - my DD's special request, she loves that stuff! And fridge because I live in Brazil - even though its winter here I think it'll melt/go off. So I guess I'll ice it on the day.

I'm not doing any fancy icing tricks though, just covering it in lilac buttercream with a scattering of those silver icing balls (its a Hannah Montana birthday so I'll just stick a Hannah candle on top for decoration).

I've been dying to try a 2-tier cake for ages, but keep putting it off. This year its mostly family so if its a flop, who cares!

PandaG Sat 20-Jun-09 09:41:29

ah right, living in Brazil puts a different perspective on it! Hope it goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now