Talk

Advanced search

Your best banana bread recipe please

(20 Posts)
Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 11:32:24

I am currently mourning the loss of a local coffee shop which sold The Best Banana Bread In The World.

I have tried on many occasions to replicate it, and probably the closest I have come is using Nigella's recipe in Domestic Goddess, but it's still not quite right.

Does anyone have a beeyoootiful recipe that I can try?

TIA

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 13:49:21

Banana Breaded Bump

misshardbroom Thu 18-Jun-09 14:20:14

I find myself doing an awful lot of banana-themed baking at the moment as the warm weather means the bananas get 'past-it' a lot more quickly than usual!

I made this last week, using Sainsbury's Basics plain chocolate which is about 27p a bar. Might not be Valrhona, but it was judged 'awesome' by DS1.

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 18-Jun-09 14:22:46

I like the Dinner Lady recipe here.

missmelly Thu 18-Jun-09 14:48:47

this one never fails and I always get rave reviews

Ivykaty44 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:03:53

Ok - I have a banana bread recipe, it is very moist and heavy - it is not in any way a cake.

Can you describe what the lost coffee shop banan bread was like and then maybe we can get close, was it light crumbly, moist, nuts?

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 15:05:21

It had nuts in, was very moist and dense, not particularly sweet, big chucks of banana. Quite a crunchy crust, iyswim, the end pieces were always divine. <salivates>

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 15:05:40

chunks of banana, chucks would not be so good.

Ivykaty44 Thu 18-Jun-09 15:19:50

Banana Loaf – Best Ever

4oz butter
4 oz brown sugar (use any color)
1 egg
1Ilb banana
3 tbsp yogurt, any flavor or plain or crème fraise
1 tsp vanilla ess
8 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarb
1 tsp cinnamon
4 oz raisins

Gas 4 oven with shelf in middle
Grease and line a 7x11 loaf tin

Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together – or put in food processor and push button. Then add egg and beat till smooth. Add banana’s if doing by hand mash first, if in and push processor then just chop them into the bowl button. Add yogurt and vanilla essence.

Sift in the flour, bicarb, cinnamon and push button or stir.

Finally add the raisins (don’t push button as the raisins will disappear!!) just mix in with a spoon and then pour the mixture into the bread /loaf tin and level off with a shake and put in the oven for one hour and twenty mins – check a cocktail stick comes out clean and it is cooked.

Turn out and let it cool. Then cut into slices and put each slice in a freezer bag – pop in the freezer and use when required wink Ideal for pack – ups as the slice of loaf will have defrosted by lunch time.

Try using dried blueberries or cranberries instead or aswell as the sultanas. This cake does keep well in a tin and will mature with age – if ever allowed.

Now change the rasins - either 2 oz of nuts and rasins or 4 oz of nuts - mash two thirds of the banans and the last banana cut into sliced and add at the end - just before putting in the oven, this way you should get your chunks wink

This recipe is moist (oh what a word) and haevy.

When I amke I line the tin with a cake wrapper - you know the type you buy in lakland to make the cakes look proffesional. If you just grease the tin it will come out easy but may break so be careful as it really is heavy.

It will keep in a tin quite well - if of course not eaten

Pinkjenny Thu 18-Jun-09 15:24:36

I am going to try all of these and will let you know what is the closest match! Thanks ladies.

ilovegreenbeans Sat 20-Jun-09 20:06:09

Can I add one more? This one is low-fat, dense and moist, but I'd maybe sprinkle some demerrara over the top to make it nice and crunchy. You could add nuts too, or raisins or chocolate chips. (Sorry about the cups, it's a Canadian recipe!)

2 mashed ripe bananas
1tsp baking soda
1/2 cup/ 125ml low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup/ 50ml vegetable oil
3/4 cup/175ml brown sugar
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup/250ml plain flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch salt

1. In small bown combine banana, yogurt and baking soda. Allow to rest
2.In separate bowl combine oil, sugar, egg and vanilla.
3. Add banana mixture to oil mixture. Add in flour, baking powder and salt and stir together until just mixed.
4. Spoon batter into non-stick/lightly oiled loaf tin. Bake at 180C for 50-60 min until centre springs back when lightly touched.

Yum!

Yorky Mon 22-Jun-09 07:05:19

I made one at the weekend in my bread maker and was really surprised how well it worked, DS currently eating it instead of toast!

Thunderduck Tue 23-Jun-09 00:31:05

I love this Videojug recipe.Here
Though I usually skip the walnuts, and occasionally skip the chocolate chips. It's just as delicious without them.

DollyPS Sat 01-Aug-09 01:45:35

I'm bringing this thread back folks as I need one for the bread maker

missmelly Mon 03-Aug-09 15:46:48

i've just got ilovegreenbeans recipe in the oven! cant wait to try it

NorthantsMum Thu 20-Aug-09 23:53:41

I made this recipe as per the instructions that Ivykaty44 posted but doubled everything up then split mixture in to two, adding plain chocolate chips to one half to make 2 cakes (loaves). I have to say I didn't quite have enough yoghurt, so I added a little milk instead. The chocolate chip version was especially yummy and my Mum nearly fell over in a feint when I said I had cooked it from scratch - she though it was from a packet!

I have to say that it was unlike the moist banana cake I had tried before and was definately a crumblier texture. All that tried it, loved it and said that the banana taste was not overpowering at all!

I'm going to have another go but with a little more yoghurt this time.

arolf Fri 21-Aug-09 16:00:36

just wanted to add the recipe I found online, and now always use:

Wisley cafe's Banana Cake
"In the café, we serve this with a rich topping," says Sue. "Make your own by beating 75g softened butter and 125g full-fat soft cheese with 200g sifted icing sugar and a dash of vanilla extract."

Makes 1 x 900g loaf

Preparation time: 30 minutes
cooking time: 40-45 minutes
• 2 ripe bananas (about 400g)
• 150g softened butter
• 150g soft brown sugar
• 80g sultanas
• 300g plain flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 100ml vegetable oil
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Butter a 900g loaf tin and line the bottom and sides with non-stick baking parchment
Peel and mash the bananas. Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Stir in the bananas and sultanas. Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the flour mix and the beaten egg, each about a third at a time, to the banana mix, beating well between each addition. Finally, stir in the oil.
Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until well-risen and golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.

I experimented with it a bit, leaving out sultanas, adding chocolate etc, and found that the BEST ever combination is to leave out the sultanas, and instead add 3 or 4 tablespoons of mincemeat (because I had some left over after making mince pies 1 time). It makes it really moist, and just delicious. I even got one colleague who hates bananas and mince pies to eat a slice, and then he asked me for the recipe

MamaG Fri 21-Aug-09 16:05:06

MmeLindt Fri 21-Aug-09 16:07:49

I made this one last week. It was incredibly easy, I just threw everything in the food processor (except the bananas).

Icanboogie Sun 05-Jun-11 08:47:49

Hello - I want one that you toast like they have in Australia. Mine are always too crumbly. Any recommendations...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: