Talk

Advanced search

Red cabbage - need recipie ideas.

(12 Posts)
Maudy Thu 12-May-05 13:29:22

I now have 2 red cabbages from my veg box that are sitting unused and i refuse to throw them away. The second one is about as big as my 7 yr olds head and would feed a family of 20!

I know how to make braised cabbage with apple or raisins, stewing it for hours with vinegar etc and i do love this recipe, but there is only so much braised red cabbage one can eat especially as the DS's don't like it.

I have tried stir frying it which is ok, but if anyone has any other good recipes i would love to know.

tortoiseshell Thu 12-May-05 13:30:32

Me too Maudy! If you look on the riverford website there is a recipe for Red Cabbage and Stilton Pie, which I'm going to try. Otherwise you could make soup I guess.

Maudy Thu 12-May-05 13:36:34

I'm Riverford too! Seems to be alot of red cabbage and cauliflower at the mo. I have never tried red cabbage soup but my friend made it and said it was disgusting!

I'll have a look for the pie, thanks.

WigWamBam Thu 12-May-05 13:40:34

Pork and Red Cabbage Bake

1lb cubed pork
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
I onion, finely chopped
1.5lb red cabbage, shredded
1 cooking apple, peeled cored and chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1oz raisins
1/4 pint chicken stock
1.5lb potatoes, cubed in their skins and parboiled

Heat some oil in a large pan, add the pork and brown. Remove and set aside.

Add the cumin and onion to the pan and fry for about 2 mins, stirring. Add the cabbage, apple, sugar, vinegar, raisins, stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4 - 5 minutes until the cabbage is softened slightly. Season to taste.

Toss the potatoes in a little oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place half the cabbage mixture into an ovenproof dish, spoon over the pork. Cover with the remaining cabbage, then top with the potatoes.

Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes.

Maudy Thu 12-May-05 13:49:05

oooh that sounds yum, thanks WWB. IS that recipe for 4?

WigWamBam Thu 12-May-05 13:52:08

Yes, serves 4. It freezes well too, if you want to make it in bulk. I can't vouch for the taste because I'm veggie but dh likes it.

TracyK Thu 12-May-05 14:14:05

coleslaw?
I love stir fried cabbage, olive oil, bacon and onion. The pop it in the oven with grated cheese and breadcrumbs for a while.
Eat it with something saucy and its yummy.

RnB Thu 12-May-05 14:15:56

Message withdrawn

MarsLady Thu 12-May-05 14:21:38

lots of cabbage {incl red recipes!}

tortoiseshell Thu 12-May-05 14:22:49

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions
500g red cabbage
3 tbsp port
half tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
850g ready made puff pastry
2 dessert apples
small can of cooked chestnuts
125g stilton cheese

Instructions

1. Thinly slice the onions, shred the red cabbage and peel, core and slice the apples. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and cabbage. Fry for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the port, brown sugar, cinnamon and seasoning.

2. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 40 minutes. Leave to cool.

3. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F, gas 6). Prepare the pastry to fit the base and top of a large pie dish.

4. Place the base in the dish. Stir the apples, crumbled stilton and chestnuts into the cabbage mixture then spoon into the pastry case.

5. Place the pastry top on, scrunch all round the edges and cut a couple of slits in the top. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes.

Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.

kid Thu 12-May-05 14:23:47

I've been looking for red cabbage in tesco for the past 2 weeks but they don't have any. I can't even remember what I wanted it for now!

MarsLady Thu 12-May-05 14:26:00

sounds yummy tortoiseshell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now