I now have 2 red cabbages from my veg box that are sitting unused and i refuse to throw them away. The second one is about as big as my 7 yr olds head and would feed a family of 20!
I know how to make braised cabbage with apple or raisins, stewing it for hours with vinegar etc and i do love this recipe, but there is only so much braised red cabbage one can eat especially as the DS's don't like it.
I have tried stir frying it which is ok, but if anyone has any other good recipes i would love to know.
1lb cubed pork
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
I onion, finely chopped
1.5lb red cabbage, shredded
1 cooking apple, peeled cored and chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 pint chicken stock
1.5lb potatoes, cubed in their skins and parboiled
Heat some oil in a large pan, add the pork and brown. Remove and set aside.
Add the cumin and onion to the pan and fry for about 2 mins, stirring. Add the cabbage, apple, sugar, vinegar, raisins, stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4 - 5 minutes until the cabbage is softened slightly. Season to taste.
Toss the potatoes in a little oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place half the cabbage mixture into an ovenproof dish, spoon over the pork. Cover with the remaining cabbage, then top with the potatoes.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions
500g red cabbage
3 tbsp port
half tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
850g ready made puff pastry
2 dessert apples
small can of cooked chestnuts
125g stilton cheese
1. Thinly slice the onions, shred the red cabbage and peel, core and slice the apples. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and cabbage. Fry for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the port, brown sugar, cinnamon and seasoning.
2. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 40 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F, gas 6). Prepare the pastry to fit the base and top of a large pie dish.
4. Place the base in the dish. Stir the apples, crumbled stilton and chestnuts into the cabbage mixture then spoon into the pastry case.
5. Place the pastry top on, scrunch all round the edges and cut a couple of slits in the top. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes.