Talk

Advanced search

Quinoa......who else eats this and thinks it's the most amazing thing ever!

(41 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 17-Jun-09 20:44:24

I do grin although no doubt I'll bore of it soon wink

I can't get over how healthy it is, a complete protein without meat. Ok, it's quite bland but goes well with richer/spicier food. I've been having it with veggie stews up to now. I could imagine it's nice with chilli too.

twoluvlykids Wed 17-Jun-09 20:45:25

It's OK. But I hate the way it gets stuck in the spaces between my teeth!

Curiousmama Wed 17-Jun-09 21:57:46

Does it? Not had that yet.

AitchTwoOh Wed 17-Jun-09 21:59:17

i love it. dh has recently (by mistake) been putting some in our breadmaker. he thought it was a seed. anyhoo, it's also very nice in bread, kinda nutty.

for those who haven't eaten it before, RINSE before cooking. it makes such a difference.

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 17-Jun-09 22:00:56

It's ok, but I wouldn't describe it as the most amazing thing ever. I prefer chips rice tbh.

suwoo Wed 17-Jun-09 22:01:27

I'm not keen, much prefer cous cous.

AitchTwoOh Wed 17-Jun-09 22:03:45

i suspect this is because you are not rinsing. wink

Doozle Wed 17-Jun-09 22:05:53

Oh god, I've always hated it. Admittedly I never rinsed it either.

Also does it need cooking in stock or something? I couldn't abide the taste of it cooked in plain water.

suwoo Wed 17-Jun-09 22:06:11

Point taken Aitch. I do have some in the cupboard, I may make a rinsed quinoa and lentil concoction tomorrow to try out your theory grin

Curiousmama Wed 17-Jun-09 22:15:40

onepiece it's not the most amazing taste, like I said it's bland, but it's excellent for veggies who struggle to get enough protein. I'm not veggie but do eat a lot of vegetarian dishes. And it being bland it goes well with my spicier concoctions. I prefer rice and chips too.
I'm trying to cut down on wheat because too much bloats me and apparently quinoa is low in gluten?

Yes agree you need to rinse it.

AitchTwoOh Wed 17-Jun-09 22:18:29

honestly, it is disgusting and soapy unless you rinse it imo. rinsed, however, it is pleasantly nutty and nubbly. i just use it as a rice substitute with stews etc. funnily enough, i mostly have it if i'm having broccoli as a veggie, they go well imo.

Curiousmama Wed 17-Jun-09 22:20:03

I'll try it with broccoli cheese I love that anyway. Ds2 loves broccoli more than chocolate hmm so no doubt he'll join me in it.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 18-Jun-09 12:29:47

Have just come back to this thread, afaik quinoa is gluten free (I hope it is, because I have been feeding it to dh who is a coeliac!)

Like you I am not veggie but do eat a lot of vegetable based curries etc so I may persevere with the quinoa and rinse it well first as others suggest.

Curiousmama Thu 18-Jun-09 12:38:11

That's good to hear onepiece smile

Think I'll have some with broccoli cheese for supper as am having burger and salad for dinner with dpblush. It's a good burger though wink

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 18-Jun-09 12:49:40

Lol at good burger. I once wrote a thread ages ago as I had stabbed my hand with a sharp knife (not badly) whilst separating burgers. They were also good burgers, organic in fact. Obviously I felt the need to enlighten other posters that I handed caused an injury whilst dealing with cheapo burgers! grin

Curiousmama Thu 18-Jun-09 12:56:10

grin Don't think ours are organic but they're Morrison's best of range wink

Ooo could you imagine if slurry burger had got into your cut? <shudder>

RatherBe Thu 18-Jun-09 13:30:55

Have you tried roasting veg like aubergine, courgette, tomatoes etc and then stirring them into quinoa that's been cooked in stock? Can either eat it like a risotto or have it as a side dish with fish or chicken. Yum!

theory Thu 18-Jun-09 13:38:48

it also helps bring out the nutty flavor if you toast it a bit in oil before cooking (just using a little oil in a frying pan)

VeraChuckandDave Thu 18-Jun-09 13:46:08

I tried it for the first time a few days ago and was very underwhelmed (but didn't rinse).

Curiousmama Thu 18-Jun-09 19:39:16

thanks for tips. I did add it to my veggie stew which had courgette, carrots, peppers, toms and onions in it as well as spices. I'll have a go at toasting it too thanks.

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Jun-09 13:09:21

I like it but just don't find it very filling. Great for weaning though, esp mixed with fruit puree and yoghurt.

pooter Fri 19-Jun-09 13:12:24

i cook it in a water/ milk mixture and have it as porridge with a squirt of agave nectar (get me!) i really like it, and weirdly so does DS.

Curiousmama Fri 19-Jun-09 19:51:52

yes I've read you can eat it like porridge will try that with a squirt of rosehip syrup as no agave nectar here wink

inthemistsoftime Fri 19-Jun-09 20:34:07

I love it! I ate it for lunch and dinner today.

I added roasted pine nuts, spring onions, beetroot and a soy sauce dressing.

It tastes lush and is so good for you.

Curiousmama Fri 19-Jun-09 21:11:32

Ooo I like the sound of that what was in your dressing? Yes it is very good for you and low fat I think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now