Talk

Advanced search

can I use dried orange lentils and lamb mince to make shepherds pie

(9 Posts)
jumblies Wed 17-Jun-09 18:51:23

I only have enough lamb mince for half a pie so thought I could pad it out with orange lentils that I have in the cupboard. Does anyone have a recipe for a half veggie pie hmm

Do I have to boil the lentils first then add to the mince or can I cook the two together with stock thrown in.

TIA

PrincessLayer Wed 17-Jun-09 19:08:38

I chuck it all in together myself! Sometimes I add another chopped onion and a bit more veg. No-one seems to notice any difference.

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 19:11:15

It will be fine.

Cook it all together with the stock as long as you have long enough. Do you mean the red lentils? coz they only take 20 minutes to cook and will be fine.

FairMidden Wed 17-Jun-09 19:11:38

Agreed, cook your mince as usual then lob in your lentils and some extra veg. You'll need to add water for the lentils to absorb. I like to add a tin of tomatoes too, for a change

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 19:11:45

You don't really need a recipe do you?

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 19:13:35

If you add tomatoes it is not a shepherd's pie though, just a mince pie.

FairMidden Wed 17-Jun-09 19:16:39

Sorry, just a suggestion. blush

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 19:18:44

Not a bad suggestion!grin

sorry, it's just not shepherd's pie with tomato sauce, like a pizza wouldn't be a margheritta if it had capers and anchovies all over it grin

jumblies Wed 17-Jun-09 20:34:47

Thanks guys, the reason I was hesitant is because all the meatless shepherds pie recipes I see use brown lentils and I've only used my red ones to make soup before...its for tomorrow's dinner. Will chuck it all in and add some stock smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now