Talk

Advanced search

So what nutritional value is broccoli once it has been steamed to mush? And other domestic nutritional questions....

(5 Posts)
foolsgold Wed 17-Jun-09 18:13:34

I very often find myself wondering about the nutritional value of this or that, or assessing whether something I am feeding DD is 'healthy' or not. Today's questions were whether the broccoli that I (deliberately) over-steamed retained any of its vitamins and fibre, and whether ketchup is really "good for you" as I heard claimed (I would have thought it had so much sugar and salt that the beneficial qualities of the lycopene would be completely outweighed). What I need is a reference book aimed at the domestic cook that will answer these and other questions. Can you recommend one please?

RuthChan Wed 17-Jun-09 21:32:59

Can't help with a book recommendation, but the brocolli definitely retains most of its nutritional value.
Vitamin C is destroyed by excessive cooking, but it's doubtful that you managed to break it all down and, conversely, the softening of the brocolli cell structure allows your DD's digestive system to better extract that which is left.
Other vitamins and fibre are not damaged by cooking and are therefore retained.
I too am scepticle about the nutritional benefits of ketchup.

luvaduck Wed 17-Jun-09 21:37:28

apparently ketchup contains lycopene - a powerful antioxidant/anticancer agent and its much more concentrated than in normal tomatoes so i think that might be true. also true of tomato puree.

steaming def better than boiling

susannah olivier what should i feed my baby has useful info like this - and a few recipes

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 17-Jun-09 22:31:53

think tom ketchup not necessarily huge on health benefits in the amount its eaten but dont think its the worst sin in terms of bad things. So long as its not on top of every meal i consider it a flavoursome treat on an occasion! The Ds's I guess have it every 3 weeks or so, usually on either fish fingers or shepherds pie! and if you use the reduced salt and sugar`version its even less bad!

foolsgold Thu 18-Jun-09 07:28:24

Thanks very much! Will look into Susannah Olivier, had never heard of her.
Herecomes - love the name. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now