Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with tons of stale white wine?

(15 Posts)
Kentishwoman Wed 17-Jun-09 16:38:35

I've got a half-full wine box of white wine that's started to go a bit stale (not totally off, but not very tasty). What can I do with it?

OhBling Wed 17-Jun-09 18:08:50

I store white wine in the fridge for ages to throw into pasta sauces etc. You can also freeze it in ice trays so that you've got handy amounts lurking at all times.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 17-Jun-09 18:13:11

Could you make a risotto (eg prawn) that uses wine instead of stock?

traceybath Wed 17-Jun-09 18:14:23

Throw it away. Using nasty wine will not enhance the flavour of anything i'm afraid.

In fact you could end up just ruining other ingredients.

Slubberdegullion Wed 17-Jun-09 18:14:46

oh dear. I was on a roll there in my head, ooh bread and butter and butter pudding (my mother does a superb one with lemon curd) or summer pudding mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[must read thread title PROPERLY]

big load of lemon chicken in white wine sauce maybe?

Lordy I have such a lust on for summer pudding now

stubbyfingers Wed 17-Jun-09 18:36:33

You've got wine LEFT?!!

Would never happen in our house grin

pickyvic Wed 17-Jun-09 18:51:25

you could always send it to me! grin

Hulababy Wed 17-Jun-09 18:53:39

If it tastes unpleasant I wouldn''t put t in food TBH.

Kentishwoman Thu 18-Jun-09 12:56:45

Thanks for the ideas. And in my defence, it's a box not a bottle, and I'm TTC grin.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 22-Jun-09 05:29:43

I would def refrigerate and/or freeze. Here's the thing about wine-you can drink cheap wine from great glasses or great wine in cheap glasses but never have both-cheap wine in cheap glasses. I'd say something similar applies to cooking with wine as well.

bumptwitknocker Tue 23-Jun-09 11:35:20

Pour it down the sink or on the garden, though might not do wonders for the flowers.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 23-Jun-09 15:38:52

Compost?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 23-Jun-09 15:46:49

Or marinade-the determining factor for me-whether to compost or cook it-would be would I drink it or not?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 23-Jun-09 15:50:33

Or as liquid in a sauce-I can't see how this wine could be worse than the wine that is sold, in the States at least, as "cooking wine". It's absolutely wretched!

thereistheball Wed 24-Jun-09 18:12:01

Don't cook with it if you are not prepared to drink it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now