Talk

Advanced search

Eggs, best before 31/5

(8 Posts)
ScarlettCrossbones Wed 17-Jun-09 15:54:09

Are they safe, do you think, if I'm just using one beaten one in a nan bread recipe? Have broken one and it doesn't look or smell any different from normal ...?

Can't get out to the shops to buy more before teatime!

Ta v much.

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 17-Jun-09 15:54:28

Oh, they're free range & organic, if that makes any difference ...

shootfromthehip Wed 17-Jun-09 15:57:02

If that egg was off you would have known. In fact I'd be able to smell it from here! I know eggs have sell buy dates for a reason but I'm always a wee bit casual about them. I think floating eggs in water is upposed to tell you if they are ok- I think they sink if they are not. But then it could be the other way round too! wink

If it looks and smells fine then its fine.

jeminthedark Wed 17-Jun-09 17:02:39

yeah what is the float or sink rule?

Fresh eggs sink. Old eggs will float as they have more gas in them. Doesn't always mean they're going to be bad. Though a bad egg will always float.

jeminthedark Wed 17-Jun-09 17:40:59

Oh that's it yes! Cheers Strpey Knicks.

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 17-Jun-09 21:37:15

Thanks! Cooked it, ate it, and am still alive, though I guess I'd better check back tomorrow just to make sure ...

Was not madly impressed with the recipe though – thought it would be a lot more unguent-y, gooey and buttery, but pretty dry and crisp sad. Not the way nan bread should be. It must have been the 2-week-out-of-date egg ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now