Talk

Advanced search

An oxymoron? Vegan junk food help requested

(9 Posts)
SkirtingBored Wed 17-Jun-09 13:26:54

DH and I are doing a 5th birthday party in a couple of weeks, and one of the invitees is vegan. I have said to her mum that I will happily cater for her, but actually, I don't know what I am doing blush. Vegan-friendly sandwiches, fruit and veggies are fine, but what about cakes/biscuit kind of things? The non-vegan children will be indulging, so I do want to have a vegan equivalent. I know I could ask the mum, but she sounded very grateful that I would do it, so am asking you lot instead smile. Any ideas?

BeehiveBaby Wed 17-Jun-09 13:38:04

Flapjacks with carob topping? You can buy these and chop up.

Vegan hot dogs chopped up go down well.

Crisps are a massive treat for mine, more exciting for them than sweets.

Agar jelly?

Fruity cakes:

30g sultanas
• 30g dried apricots
• 30g dates
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 140g self-raising flour
• 30g muscovado sugar
• 1 tablespoon golden syrup
• 1 very ripe banana
• 30g oil
• 140ml hot water

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. In a food processor, blitz the sultanas, apricots, dates, baking powder and a little of the flour (just enough to stop the fruit sticking to the blades). If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop it very finely. Put this mixture into a bowl with the muscovado sugar, the golden syrup, the egg and the melted butter and stir together. Then add the very hot water and the remaining flour and mix well with a whisk. Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake papers (I like to double up the papers to give the mixture a bit more hold) and place on a baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.

I at least double this recipe as the akes are always so popular.

Kutner Wed 17-Jun-09 13:48:51

Are you baking or buying?

SkirtingBored Wed 17-Jun-09 13:55:20

BeehiveBaby - that recipe looks lovely smile I will give them a try. Thanks for the tips.
Kutner - bit of both I think - I haven't got oodles of time, nor a big kitchen lol!

BeehiveBaby Wed 17-Jun-09 13:59:01

Maybe the 'Free From' aisle at the supermarket? TBH, I know lots of vegan children who are allowed to eat what they like at parties.

SkirtingBored Wed 17-Jun-09 14:35:30

Hi
I had a look at the 'free from' aisle - good for gluten/egg free, not for vegans though.
The child's mum is not so relaxed about veganism as the people you know. She was going to bring a lunch box for her dd, but I said not to as we would cater smile. Ta for your help smile

deadflesh Wed 17-Jun-09 14:51:52

www.animalfreeshopper.com/html/

This is a good place to search for vegan junk!

For ready made biscuits McVitie's original hobnobs and ginger nuts are vegan. So are Burton's coconut rings.

Dutch apple cake from health food shops is lovely and vegan.

Or homemade chocolate crispie cakes (rice crispies, melted very dark vegan choc, dairy free spread, golden syrup)

Swedish Glace ice cream is vegan and sold in Tescos.

wotulookinat Wed 17-Jun-09 14:53:11

Try Holland and Barratt. They do 'vege-bears', which are little jelly bears which are vegan. (double check though - I know they are vegetarian)
The bigger stores with fridges also do vegetarian sausage rolls and other bits, which may well be vegan.
How about some dried berries out? My son loves them and will happily eat them instead of sweeties.

SkirtingBored Wed 17-Jun-09 20:39:22

Thanks for your help smile. I feel better prepared now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now