Talk

Advanced search

got scotch broth mix, how long does it take to cook after steeping?

(8 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 16-Jun-09 19:57:16

it says I need to soak in water overnight (what a pain), but doesnt say how long it takes to cook once added to a stew?

mix has red lentils, barley, yellow and green split peas.

anyone used it?

many thanks

stubbyfingers Tue 16-Jun-09 20:32:39

I would say 1-2 hours, but maybe mine is a bit old and particularly dry? It's the split peas in it that can sometimes take longer.

Personally I think a broth's flavour takes a long time to really develop anyway.

Mmmmm...broth smile

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 16-Jun-09 20:41:21

ooh really? wont the veg be total mush by then? I wonder if i can cook the mix with stock for an hour and then add my veg then?

Hmm, am thinking this will not be tomorrows speedy supper! may have to have a rethink!!

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 16-Jun-09 21:16:56

wasa not planning on using meat, just doing a veg broth.

stubbyfingers Tue 16-Jun-09 21:26:45

yes the veg is v v cooked after this length of time of time, but it's v v tasty too! They don't disappear completely though.

If you want a quicker version you could just use one of the pre-chopped soup mix packs from tesco/asda and just add red lentils (20-30mins) and/or rice (10-15 mins) and/or plain barley (40 mins ish). Whizz it up if you prefer smaller texture.

you can't go far wrong really. If it's undercooked, keep cooking until you like it!

stubbyfingers Tue 16-Jun-09 21:28:57

PS, if you were after a more refined version with delicate al dente vegetables, ignore all of the above! smile

PlumBumMum Tue 16-Jun-09 21:33:11

I don't even steep mine I just put it on in the morning and let it bubble away , Keep some veg to throw in towards the end, but as stubby says the longer its left the better it tastes!

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 17-Jun-09 22:01:22

ok, wanted a veg version so added onions, carrots, celery and leek, all pre softened in olive oil plus (a bit too much of) the soaked broth mix in veg stock. Its soft, its done but its so BLAND. yuk!

what can i add? tin toms? more veg (have parsnips, courgettes etc)?

its going to be tomorrows supper (wasnt ready in time for tonight!) and am currently expecting a revolt and march to the chip shop by the boys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now