Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for home-made frozen ready meals & snacks

(12 Posts)
GentlyDidIt Tue 16-Jun-09 12:17:14

When next baby arrives in a couple of months I'd love to have a freezer full of home-made, healthy ready meals.

Casseroles and the like are fine, but I'm really looking for snacks - things I can defrost a single portion of, and eat one-handed while I breastfeed.

I like a lot of readymade frozen veggie stuff - nut cutlets, veggie burgers etc, but expect homemade would be healthier and tastier.

Thanks in anticipation...

GentlyDidIt Tue 16-Jun-09 12:18:29

Should add I'm not a vegetarian, but hoping to keep my fibre levels and 5-a-day up!

BlueChampagne Wed 17-Jun-09 13:07:32

How about making a pizza and freezing it in slices?

Do you think you could cope with soup in a mug while BFing? Get some nice bread in the freezer too.

Single portions of macaroni cheese with broccoli?

Our kitchen was being rebuilt when I had DS so many's the meal I had out with him in the sling and a paper napkin on his head!

GentlyDidIt Thu 18-Jun-09 12:10:03

Thank you BlueChampagne, I particularly like the pizza idea. You made me chuckle as my first baby spent quite a bit of time with a clean teatowel on her head - not for modesty, but so that I wouldn't lose any of the bigger bits of cake

Any more lunchtime brainwaves out there?

cyteen Thu 18-Jun-09 12:13:40

I make these savoury flapjacks for my DS and freeze them in bars...they're really tasty and defrost pretty quickly too. Good out-and-about food for adults and kids.

cyteen Thu 18-Jun-09 12:15:40

You could also make big batches of various pasta sauces (spicy tomato, bolognese, salsa verde or whatever you like) and freeze them in portions - I always found cooking pasta one handed fairly manageable and you can just chuck the defrosted sauce over it and stir through.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 18-Jun-09 12:16:52

If you like bagels, slice them before freezing. Its easy enought to stuff and eat a bagel one-handed but impossible to wield a breadknife.

milkmoustache Thu 18-Jun-09 14:14:18

Savoury muffins? Sweetcorn fritters - make a cheese batter, add sweetcorn and spring onions, fry a spoonful and freeze.

CMOTdibbler Thu 18-Jun-09 14:17:31

Calzone - cut circle of bread dough, spread with pizza sauce, add some veggies and cheese, fold and seal, bake. Nuke from frozen

Mini quiches freeze well

GentlyDidIt Thu 18-Jun-09 18:20:09

Ooh cyteen the flapjacks look lovely!

Anyone know whether cooked pancakes freeze well? I have an experimental one in the frrezer at the moment and it looks a bit sad.

cyteen Thu 18-Jun-09 20:49:36

They should do - freeze them between sheets of greaseproof paper so they don't freeze into one big mass.

Drop scones also freeze well this way. I make these all the time for indulgent weekend breakfasts, they're gorgeous with Greek yoghurt and berries (or just maple syrup as DP prefers)

GentlyDidIt Thu 18-Jun-09 22:13:41

oh my goodness what a great idea - tell you what cyteen, can I just come round to yours after the baby arrives and watch you cook for a bit, say a couple of months grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now