Talk

Advanced search

Strawberries - how many to buy.

(7 Posts)
frostyfingers Tue 16-Jun-09 08:22:55

We have 35 people for family do next week and I need to order strawberries. Trouble is I have no idea how many lbs to get. There will be meringues, cream, ice cream for the children (who will no doubt not touch it and go for the meringues), and a chocolatey pudding. So, all you catering experts, can you tell me how many pounds I should get. Thank you!

blametheparents Tue 16-Jun-09 13:57:59

Tricky one. In our house, strawberries just seem to be inhaled by my kids so I could probably order loads and they would still all disappear.
I think you have got to cater for one of the plastic punnets that you get at the supermarket being ok for 4 people. So that would be about 10 punnets (with a few extras for greedy kids like mine!)

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Jun-09 14:26:32

I'd do roughly 200g per person, so about 7kg, then add two etra kg just incase.

So, 9kg grin

Iklboo Tue 16-Jun-09 14:29:48

If I was coming you'd need to get about 40 pounds of strawberries grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 14:32:02

Lots.

My DC will eat as much as they are allowed to - as will other DC - OMDB's estimate sounds about right (but quite expensive). Last time I did strawberries for lots of people we made the mistake of letting the DC go to the buffet first - grown-ups ended up with about 2 strawberries each sad

meltedmarsbars Tue 16-Jun-09 21:49:36

What about doing a pick-your-own ? might be cheaper?

SomeGuy Fri 19-Jun-09 23:42:23

supermarket fruit are a rip-off. We bought 2kg of cherries for £4 from market. And raspberries only £1 a punnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now