Talk

Advanced search

My cupcakes have greasy bottoms - what did I do wrong and will they taste OK?

(8 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Jun-09 22:09:42

Following on from my softening butter thread earlier, cupcakes are now done, but when i took them out of the baking tray, they all left a residue of butter behind which must have seeped through the case, and the bottom of each case was all buttery.

I can't taste one because I've made a dozen and I need a dozen for dd's nursery class, and I'm not that worried - they will probably just lick the icing off anyway, as they are 3, but I think that if they have lost butter in the baking process, they might have an odd texture, and I'd like to avoid doing it again.

Any advice, oh mumsnet master bakers?

...I said master BAKERS

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Jun-09 22:28:28

Will check back in am for any wise words....

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Jun-09 22:29:26

They will taste fine. Seriously.

PrettyCandles Mon 15-Jun-09 22:40:02

They'll taste fine, and probably won't even feel as greasy by the time the children get at them.

Different fats have different effects on sponge mixes. It's been ages since I baked with butter (we're dairy-free ATM), IIRC butter makes sponges slightly greasy with a larger crumb, but they taste better and keep better than if they were baked with marge.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 16-Jun-09 09:31:11

Thanks for your reassurance. Will have to make some more to "check" !!

saintmaybe Tue 16-Jun-09 09:38:10

When I started reading the thread title I thought this was a 'how do I get my kids to bath more' thread

i may start calling mine 'cupcakes'

notamumyetbutoneday Tue 16-Jun-09 10:15:11

nominate this for thread title of the week!

mrsbabookaloo Tue 16-Jun-09 13:38:31

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now