Talk

Advanced search

slow eater (of veg!)

(3 Posts)
joannieL Wed 11-May-05 18:33:44

Hi - my dd (4 year old)takes literally hours to eat if it is something (i.e: vegetables) that she isn't too keen on. She will put peas, carrots, mash etc in her mouth but won't swallow it for a good 20 minutes. So if I want her to eat her healthy stuff, as of course I do, it takes a good hour and a half. She is fine with meat and fish, and of course all unhealthy food - chips, cake, chocolate...Any ideas, or should I just give in and let her leave it on the plate?
JoannieL

zebraX Wed 11-May-05 19:05:07

My children have to eat most of their tea (including the veg) of they don't get any pudding. They are allowed a few items they just don't like (DS doesn't like courgettes, DD doesn't like mushrooms...). No veg, no pudding.

There was a study a while back that said this was the wrong approach, as soon as my children grow up they will eschew any veg and only eat wonderfully exciting treats. I'm fostering a distorted relationship between food & my child -- according to that study.

I don't believe it will work out like that, but gives you some stuff to think about.

joannieL Wed 11-May-05 19:49:30

I've tried that, but she still takes ages - if I threaten (oh dear) with no pudding she assures me she is eating up, which she is in theory.
Pudding is eaten quickly enough though!
JoannieL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now