Talk

Advanced search

Your recipes please to use up Peppers -- lots of peppers

(12 Posts)
clumsymum Mon 15-Jun-09 11:30:13

OK, Due to complete stupidity on my part when online shopping, I now have 2 bags of Basics Peppers (don't know how,I checked it before I clicked "send order") plus 2 peepers left over from last week.

So I've planned Fajitas tonight (with lots of peppers included), and a goulash later in the week, on slow cooker day.

Good recipes for stuffed peppers sought please, plus anything else that uses peppers as a garnish, flavouring.....

Gorionine Mon 15-Jun-09 11:35:45

This is an Algerian salad that we all love (adults and Dcs!)

wash the peppers + a few tomatoes, prick them with a fork and grill them in the oven. When grilled on all sides, put them in a dish and cover with cling film for 1/2 hour (this just helps peeling then).

After you peeled them and take the peeps out,cut them (or just mash them with a fork), add some salt, pepper and olive oil (garlic if you like it) it is great with BBQ for exemple.

OhBling Mon 15-Jun-09 11:39:06

Slice them up and roast them (not green ones) and serve with couscous and feta/goats cheese.

Chickpea curry with peppers is also delicious.

MaryBS Mon 15-Jun-09 11:41:14

You can liquidise them with tin(s) of tomatoes, add garlic and onion and freeze, to keep as a sauce for pasta, either on its own, or with mince.

They're also nice chargrilled on the barbeque, serve with steaks etc.

smallchange Mon 15-Jun-09 11:44:42

There is something called peperonata. I'm not actually all that sure what it is but sounds quite pepper-intensive grin. Will Google.

Also, you can slice them, freeze on a tray and then decant into a bag for storage. They are great for sticking in pasta sauces etc or putting on the top of pizzas. No need to blanche before freezing.

smallchange Mon 15-Jun-09 11:45:25

http://www.thegiftofoil.co.uk/recipedetail.asp?RecipeID=8&Cat=6 Here's a peperonata recipe.

theyoungvisiter Mon 15-Jun-09 11:46:33

you could do roasted pepper antipasti - just char them over a bbq or a gas hob, put in a plastic bag to sweat, peel off the skin, slice thinly and store in olive oil.

Can be used in salads, sauces, sandwiches, bruschetta or just as nibbles.

clumsymum Mon 15-Jun-09 11:51:50

OK good, Thanks. Oh BTW, they are mostly green peppers. A couple of yellow, but NO red ones...., cos it's basics bags.

GrinnyPig Mon 15-Jun-09 11:53:45

I buy three (or more) bags of peppers every week, so I must have some recipes wink

Sliced in omelettes (with mushrooms and red onion too)

In curries, chillies and spag bol

Roast them in the oven for about 35 minutes. I spray them with oil first, but you could do them without anything or with some olive oil. Use them as a side vegetable.

Simmer them with some tinned tomatoes - add some courgettes and make a ratatouille to fill jacket potatoes or use as a side vegetable or as a pasta sauce.

Slice them and use them as dipping sticks for houmus.

If you have a gas hob roast them over the flame until the skin is blackened and then peel. Leave to cool and slice up in salads. You can do the same by grilling them, but it's easier on a gas hob. Roasting and peeling makes them taste milder.

Chilli bean soup. Simmer them with a can of tomatoes and some vegetable stock. Add any other vegetables (I might use carrot and onion) add a drained can of kidney beans and some chilli powder or fresh chillies - liquidise.

GrinnyPig Mon 15-Jun-09 11:54:45

I must learn to type more quickly!

PavlovtheCat Mon 15-Jun-09 11:55:52

Green Peppers are great curried, with potatoes and chickpeas. Cook loads, then freeze.

I personally do not like green stuffed peppers, bit too bitter for me.

HensMum Mon 15-Jun-09 12:00:30

I stuff peppers with a mix of cooked rice, chopped veg and cheese. Cook the peppers a bit first - not too much, just to soften, then add the stuffing, top with a few breadcrumbs and whack back into the oven until crispy looking. Really nice with salad.

I agree with Pavlov that stuffed green peppers are not that nice, but you could stuff the yellow ones and use a few bits of cut up green pepper in the stuffing. I also used mushrooms, courgette, onion in the stuffing or whatever is hanging around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now