Talk

Advanced search

English (or British) speciality dish for a buffet?

(22 Posts)
Gipfeli Mon 15-Jun-09 11:22:46

We live in Switzerland. Ds's Kindergarten are having an end of year buffet on Thursday evening. We are asked to bring a speciality from our home country to the event.

I'm happy to do it as I like cooking but am struggling for things that I would count as being specialities and that are suitable for a buffet (ds is suggesting fish and chips and won't have that that it's a little impractical.)

Any ideas for anything typically English or British?

Restrictions:
1) I need to be able to prepare it the night before.
2) It needs to be something ok to be served cold
3) It needs to be robust enough to cope with my treking it across town to work in the morning and then back to Kindergarten in the evening. It can go in the fridge at work.

4) Ideally it would be a savoury rather than sweet dish. This is not critical though.

Will be very grateful for any and all suggestions.

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 15-Jun-09 12:02:21

I was going to say trifle as this is so typically english.

On the savory front, what about mini toads in the hole? cocktail sausages cooked in batter in a muffin or bun tin?

abraid Mon 15-Jun-09 12:03:24

Coronation chicken! Made without sultanas. It was devised for the Queen's Coronation in the fifties.

It's not difficult and it's robust.

Rindercella Mon 15-Jun-09 12:04:46

I was going to say Coronation Chicken! abraid just got there first smile Fits your critera perfectly.

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 15-Jun-09 12:06:35

Cucumber sandwiches, butter is very important to stop it going soggy.

Or mini toad in the hole? Little yorkshire puddings with a cocktail sausage in them, served with onion chutney.

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 15-Jun-09 12:07:05

Oops didn't spot notamumys post.

Gorionine Mon 15-Jun-09 12:08:11

cucumber sandwiches!

Gorionine Mon 15-Jun-09 12:08:54

x posted with TDWY!

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 15-Jun-09 12:10:31

Oh yes, in triangles with very thin sliced cucumber. No crusts!

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 15-Jun-09 12:37:04

are sausage rolls typically english? or cheese scones? they are an english thing in that one wouldnt find them abroad i suppose but not sure someone not from here would recognise them as such, IYSWIM?

heavenstobetsy Mon 15-Jun-09 12:41:21

Another vote for sausage rolls, surely the staple of every English buffet! And home made ones are fab!

abraid Mon 15-Jun-09 12:57:26

Rindercella--it's not like me to beat anyone to anything, especially not on a Monday morning...

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 15-Jun-09 13:05:24

Raised game pie (elaborate) - okay pork pie (yuk). Potted cheese.

Ivykaty44 Mon 15-Jun-09 14:37:09

I was thinking coranation chicken before I opened the post, cheese and pinnaple on a stick - thats naff 70's english party food. As are jam tarts? Not sure where tarts came from wink

OrmIrian Mon 15-Jun-09 14:39:13

Cold roast beef with horseradish?

Gipfeli Mon 15-Jun-09 15:44:34

Great ideas. Thanks. I like the coronation chicken idea.

Cucumber sandwiches would be great and easy except the bread here, whilst delicious, is not best suited to sandwich making, particularly not the delicate cucumber variety.

Yorkshire pudding/roast beef ideas also good, although frankly I may be a little too lazy for that for a mid-week thing. I'll save that idea for when I have more time.

Sausage rolls are tricky since I can't bank on being able to buy suitable sausages to take apart for the filling.

Thanks all.

Lio Mon 15-Jun-09 15:46:48

Scones, cream, strawb jam?

Gorionine Mon 15-Jun-09 16:24:39

How did I not think about the bread being wrong for cucumber sandwiches, I am Swissblush!

Ivykaty44 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:03:20

jelly?

StirlingTheStrong Mon 15-Jun-09 19:30:28

Stawberries and cream ?

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 15-Jun-09 20:07:32

Ooh, Eton Mess!

juneybean Mon 15-Jun-09 20:09:51

I was about to answer vol au vents but then thought about it some more hmm lol

Mini cottage pies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now