Talk

Advanced search

Humour me - value cheese.............where is the cheapest place to buy it??

(17 Posts)
FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 20:05:18

Yes I know decent cheese tastes better, but it's a core staple in our house and therefore we eat value stuff for general use (sandwiches,salads, sauces).

Of course even value stuff is expensive so I'm trying to find out where sells the cheapest (big) blocks of mild (or medium) cheddar.

I usually get either Morrisons or, Co-op, but want to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere else.

And no cutting down the amount we eat isn't an option, we've already between us "sacrificed" on other expensive food stuffs that we like so the cheese has to stay (and will grin)

TrinityRhino Sun 14-Jun-09 20:10:14

tesco, asda, aldi

we cant do without cheese either and are on the value mild stuff

have been for a long time now

TripleTroubleMuffin Sun 14-Jun-09 20:11:21

sainsburys basics

asda smart price

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 20:12:14

now I know we did used to use Tesco - but but last time I checked didn't seem to do the big blocks any more (but that was a while ago).

I'll have a look in Aldi next time I'm over that side of town

Bonneville Sun 14-Jun-09 20:13:06

Just wondering - is there a difference in the way value cheese and the more expensive cheese is produced. I mean what exactly are we getting by paying extra for non-value cheddar for example? I can understand with the speciality cheeses but when it comes down to bog-standard cheddar, cheshire, red Leicester etc I am really not sure.

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 20:15:31

oooo asdas is good value £3.94Kg, Morrisons is £4 something or other.

I always find the shape wrong (I know very pedantic as I'm buying a value produce blush) - but I find a long thin block of cheese lasts longer than an equal weight short fat one grin

TripleTroubleMuffin Sun 14-Jun-09 20:16:13

Makes perfect sense grin

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 20:16:31

I don't know Bonneville - I guess there must be as they do taste a bit different.........(but for me it's more of a "mmmm that's gorgeous" taste for the expensive stuff rather than a "oh that's better" LOL).

Goober Sun 14-Jun-09 20:17:34

Lidl.

TheMadHouse Sun 14-Jun-09 20:18:03

Most of the supermarkets have been doing special offers. I tend to bulk buy it as and when I see it.

Also if you grate it, it freezes well

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 20:21:18

ahh now you see DS1 and DH like there's sliced, and I prefer it grated in sandwiches, but do like the odd slice of cheese on toast - but not the standard way - I make the toast, butter it and stick slabs (well I've had to cut it down to nicely cut slices wink) of cheese on it and eat like that. So grated would only work for 1/2 the family - and then I'd probably forget to take ti out when I needed it .

Actually no that last bit is a certainty as I did go through a phase of grating blocks of cheese and freezing.............and forgetting about it blush

Overmydeadbody Sun 14-Jun-09 20:40:26

Bonevilla it's to do with how long it is left to mature (with hard cheese like cheddar) value cheese isn't given long to mature (hence the milder taste and rubberiness rather than crumblyness) as storing it would cost more money.

Bonneville Sun 14-Jun-09 20:51:05

Ah - I see. Thank you.

Mousey84 Sun 14-Jun-09 21:01:54

Have a look at mysupermarket.co.uk which will help you compare prices on almost everything at tesco/asda/sainsburys

Theres a wee contraption from Kleenze (sp?) called the thick 'n' thin cheese slicer (£3) - Im sure theres other types or retailers, but thats where I got mine - anyway, we use less now because the slices are all thin

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 21:13:54

so what about mature value cheese then <<<ponders>>>>>

thanks for the tips - shall look into all of them.........mind you I'm now ready for my cheese omelette grin

Dragonfly74 Sun 14-Jun-09 21:17:40

Iceland do a lovely mature cheddar £5 for 960grams.
We're fussy about cheese but love this.

FAQinglovely Sun 14-Jun-09 21:22:32

oooo that's nearly £1 a kg more expensive than Asda <<<<<<is already compiling her comparison list>>>>>>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now