Talk

Advanced search

Can I assemble my Eton Mess in advance?

(7 Posts)
Cies Sun 14-Jun-09 09:33:56

All the recipes I've seen online say to do it just before serving. But I am taking it as a pudding to a meal at MIL's house, and would really rather prepare it all at home before going there (other people's kitchens and all).

Will my mess be sodden and soggy if I put it all together about 3 hours before serving?

Celia2 Sun 14-Jun-09 09:36:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cies Sun 14-Jun-09 09:40:01

Gah, I suspected as much.

Will have to take it all ready to fold together.

thumbwitch Sun 14-Jun-09 09:42:56

definitely need to take it in separate pots and mix there - it wouldn't be anything like as lovely if you do it so early!

ingles2 Sun 14-Jun-09 09:43:06

it's not very nice if it's left Cies. I think it's something to do with the acid in the fruit curdling the cream.

ABetaDad Sun 14-Jun-09 18:03:43

You can whip the cream, wash, hull and chop the strawberries and prepare the raspberry/strawberry sauce all before guests arrive if its a lunch/dinner you are doing.

I keep everything separate in the fridge and then do a party piece in front of guests by assembling it in tall glasses in front of them. Bit of grated chocolate on top and some Cherry Kirsch in the sauce is nice for adults.

So long as the wine is flowing and everyone is chatting its quite a nice thing to do without having to disappear.

A other say, meringes will go soggy and the cream curdle and the sauce leech all over into a pink soggy sloppy mess if you do it before.

duckyfuzz Sun 14-Jun-09 18:18:09

yes do keep it separate (I prepared it just before serving main once, never again, it was mush!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now