Talk

Advanced search

Caperberries?

(23 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 13:19:39

As part of my ongoing caper obsession, I bought caperberries from ocado. I thought they were the same thing. They're not. So what are they? And what do I do with them?

triceratops Wed 11-May-05 13:28:44

the capers are the flower buds the berries are the fruit. I think. I prefer capers really.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 13:35:16

That makes sense - capers are definately flower buds, and these are huge.

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 19:09:08

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 19:38:03

My current fave caper dishes are:

- tuna pasta sauce with tomatoes, onions, and capers. Today I cheated and used ratatouille and just added tuna and capers, which worked fine.

- thinly sliced smoked salmon, cream cheese, and capers.

- anything else with capers in it.

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 19:41:08

Message withdrawn

LGJ Wed 11-May-05 19:43:09

Gerryaffe

You should get an envelope today or tomorrow

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 19:43:57

Message withdrawn

moondog Wed 11-May-05 19:44:35

NQC,this part of Turkey is serious caper territory. Sometimes my dh goes off to visit caper farms (really!) as part of his work developing agriculture. I've had those big ones too.

Had one of my favourite lunches today-chickpeas,cucumbers,tomatoes,mint,red onion.fetta and capers!!!

Ever had 'brik a l'oeuf'? Tunisian thing. Couple of sheets of phyllo pastry put into a hot greased frying pan. Crack an egg in,allow to cook,then add tuna and capers. Fold the phyllo sheets over the top and serve.

giraffeski Wed 11-May-05 19:45:50

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 19:48:24

moondog, what did you do with the chickpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes etc? Is that a hot dish? More information, please!

And presumably your DH knows what to do with caperberries? Other than look at them in the jar, and say, "what the aitch-e-double-hockey-sticks are those?" (sorry, trying new no-swearing rules out ...)

brik a l'oeuf sounds good ... I actually hate tuna, except in a tomato-caper pasta sauce. But maybe capers and eggs would do it. I'm always short of ideas for my lunches on my own.

moondog Wed 11-May-05 19:54:52

Just a salad ncq. Add a little lemon juice and olive oil and voila! Here in Van they have a fantastic fetta like cheese called otlu peynir.It is full of wild herbs gathered from the mountains around us. I buy it by the kilogram from wizened old blokes whose tiny shops also have walnuts and huge honeycombs. Fantastic!

Yes,dh loves capers,although remember an ex b/f spitting them ot in disgust and commenting with horror on 'peas in vinegar' Arse!!

That salad is also great if you substitute grilled red peppers for the tomatoes. It's my standard nice lunch-for-friends meal accompanied by good bread and a roast free range chicken and lashings of chilled white wine!

moondog Wed 11-May-05 19:56:27

Forgot to say..with the brik thing,flip it over to brown on the other side before eating...Don't cook the egg to long-yolk needs to be runny.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 19:57:14

Tinned chickpeas? Cooked ahead of time?

It's funny, I remember being opposed to capers when I first tried them. I think I used to joke that they were insect eggs. It's only (I think?) during my last pregnancy that they became an essential food group. But it's a taste obsession that's stuck.

moondog Wed 11-May-05 19:58:39

Tinned are fine.Or boil your own from dry (but I often forget to do it in advance) God yes,I can't get enough of capers. My mouth is watering now just thinking of them....

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 20:00:07

Are they like olives, you can't eat them fresh?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 20:00:36

capers, I mean, not chickpeas.

Chickpeas apparently can be eaten fresh, my folks have had them in Mexico. They're lovely, I'm told.

moondog Wed 11-May-05 20:05:30

Dh says to tell you that they aren't farms! The plant grows wild (bloke dh talked to said he tried and failed to cultivate them) and is about 24 inches high and quite thorny. No,they can't be eaten raw-well could but wouldn't taste nice.Dh saw them being brought in and put in huge barrels to be pickled. Length of pickling affects the taste so they are done according to the market. Turks don't like them generally so they go abroad.

He says Spanish have cornered the market. Despite the fact that most are grown in Morocco,the Spanish import,process and make the most money.

There you go-more than you ever wanted to know about capers!!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 20:10:31

(Well, except the original question: what do I do with caperberries?)

moondog Wed 11-May-05 20:11:23

lol! Exactly the same as you do with capers!
That's what I do anyway-just a bigger better caper sensation!!

LGJ Wed 11-May-05 20:16:56

I like them, they hate me

NotQuiteCockney Thu 12-May-05 21:13:00

LGJ, what do you mean, they hate you?

I think we're going to make pizza tomorrow night, and guess what I'm putting on mine?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 26-May-05 21:52:44

Oh, I finally tried the caperberries, in a tuna pasta sauce (with capers, too, I wouldn't want to miss a chance) ... they do taste like capers, but the texture is weird, kinda squeaky. Maybe I should cook them more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now