Talk

Advanced search

Who remembers Arctic Roll? Or was given it as a 'treat' pudding as a school meal?

(50 Posts)
foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:08:29

because I was just doing my online shop and there it was! Birds eye have brought it back for public consumption!

have ordered it (the one with the raspberry ripple - this was the one given to us at school) to see what the dcs think.

They always mystified me Arctic Rolls. They seemed just, well, unnecessary in a way lol.

nickytwotimes Sat 13-Jun-09 21:09:41

Oooh, I loved an Arctic Roll as a kid.
<slobbers a bit>

merlin Sat 13-Jun-09 21:10:14

OOOOh - my boys have been eating it for yonks - they love it!!! We call it ice-cream cake in this house - it's become a bit of a legend with their schoolfriends who had never had it!!!

cookielove Sat 13-Jun-09 21:10:48

waitrose sell them, i bought a few a few weeks ago, they had them in offer for a £1, they were yummy grin

bellavita Sat 13-Jun-09 21:10:48

I remember it, but them I am ancient!

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:11:36

here it is

just googled and found this article here

it is so particularly British, Arctic Roll

have never encountered it in any other country!

Stefka Sat 13-Jun-09 21:15:28

It's brill! I just introduced it to my DH is from another country

CMOTdibbler Sat 13-Jun-09 21:16:33

I used to love it. And my mum refused to buy it, so had to wait until dad went to the market and get him to buy it from the frozen food bloke

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:17:50

I remember it. Worst school pudding apart from stewed prunes imo.

And it has been in Tesco for a few months now. I am not tempted to buy it.

Cies Sat 13-Jun-09 21:19:37

What memories! We had it at school when it was someone's birthday or something extra special. We also had what we called "floating islands" which was a pineapple ring with a scoop of icecream on top covered in meringue. Yum!

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:21:30

lol DG

I loved rice pudding with jam but I think most people would have voted that their worst pudding

the ones I remember vividly

Arctic roll
Spotted dick
Rice pudding with jam swirled in the middle
Fizzy yoghurt

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:22:05

oh and some odd biscuit thing that I was never quite sure what it was

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:22:32

and those peaches that come out of a tin

notnowbernard Sat 13-Jun-09 21:23:21

Arctic Roll, yuk

We had it for pudding at home when I was little... as a 'treat' hmm

notnowbernard Sat 13-Jun-09 21:24:11

We also had Instant Whip a lot

Posh people had Angel Delight grin

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:25:35

I bought some Angel Delight the other day. It tasted so chemical. Was quite disappointing.

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:26:07

I used to lurve most school puddings. Chocolate cracknel, sponge pudding, some bicuity thing that melted in the mouth, custard, semolina (yes I liked that too!) pink custard, it was all lovely.

But not prunes or arctic roll.

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:27:32

I buy chocolate Angel Delight sometimes. You have to get the non sugar free one. I never had that as a child - my mother would have died rather than put Angel Delight on the table - but I remember it from friend's houses.

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:27:34

oh yes PINK CUSTARD

how could I forget

if the dinner ladies were in a good mood, we got sprinkles (hundreds and thousands) on our pink custard

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:30:43

friends' actually wink

How about the main course though? It is funny, I remember the puddings with deep joy, but the main courses seemed to consist entirely of stringy grey meat, lumpy mash and boiled white cabbage. Oh and unspeakable gravy.

Although I was wondering the other day about some casserole we used to have which had plain crisps on top as a sort of topping. What was that? Could I make it I wonder?

notnowbernard Sat 13-Jun-09 21:35:15

Ooh yes, hundreds and htousands smile

It was a pudding for when people "came round for tea" (even though we never called it tea, it was dinner... except on Sunday, which was tea)

I also remember pink custard for school <boak>

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:38:30

ah I love boiled cabbage. Still do. Buy it every week and make sure I have it with loads of gravy. It's school dinners that inspired me to love it. Dd loves it too!

Those school dinners mean I rarely have a meal that isn't swimming in gravy.

We also got some odd warm cheese pie thing.

V stringy grey meat that you could never identify.

lots and lots of stews

foxinsocks Sat 13-Jun-09 21:39:28

I wonder if the crisps were dumplings gone wrong lol

also lots of food with mince in it (like cottage pie, spag bol etc.)

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:39:50

I still cook most of the food I ate as a child - except for prunes of course! wink

OrmIrian Sat 13-Jun-09 21:41:40

I remember it.

In fact I bought some recently. Funny thing is I don't remember it tasting like soggy carpet tiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now