Talk

Advanced search

how do I reheat food from freezer??

(9 Posts)
simpson Sat 13-Jun-09 20:29:23

last week I made lamb stew in slow cooker and had enough to freeze. smile

How do I re heat it??

I was thinking of getting it out of freezer the night before then nearer the time bunging in micro...

Will that be ok??

Or am I likely to give family food poisoning and it needs to be cooked longer in oven iyswim.

<<numpty emoticon>>

lambanana Sat 13-Jun-09 20:55:15

No I think that is fine.

It needs to be thoroughly defrosted before you micro it though.

Coolmama Sat 13-Jun-09 20:57:42

take it out the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge to defrost. Then either reheat in microwave or oven - just make sure it is steaming hot!! that way, there is no risk. Enjoy!

yousaidit Sat 13-Jun-09 20:59:09

i blast meals froom frozen in microwave and we are all alive! just do it on defrost till al the frozen bits are fully defrosted then start cooking on full heat smile

yousaidit Sat 13-Jun-09 20:59:29

send it to me to test if you're not sure grin

ABetaDad Sat 13-Jun-09 21:01:44

Generally, if I want to say reheat stew from the freezer that I am planning to have for lunch I get it out of freezer imediately when I get up. I leave it thaw in a microwaable (e.g Pyrex) bowl with the bag on for a while. Take the bag off after about an hour and leave the still frozen block in the microwavable bowl.

If it is enough stew for 4 people, I then microwave for say 5 minutes on high power (in a Category E microwave). Take it out and break up the partly frozen block of food with a fork and stir. Microwave again for another 5 minutes. Give a good stir and then microwave again for 5 minutes or until it is really hot and bubbling.

I then leave it to stand while I prepare he remainder of the meal. I then give the stew another 2 minutes, stir to make it hot enough to serve, give a final stir and place on plates.

The important point is to make sure there are no coldspots in the food and really piping hot all the way through to kill any bacteria and viruses.

DeepGoat Sat 13-Jun-09 21:08:06

see here

TheyCallMeLofty Sat 13-Jun-09 21:12:34

What crap link - Jeez we could google 99% of the questions that are asked on MN - not sure Justine and co. would be so keen on that though

DeepGoat Sat 13-Jun-09 21:14:57

snigger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now