Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need help on weaning!!

(9 Posts)
juicychops Wed 11-May-05 10:53:16

I started my ds on solids 1 1/2 weeks ago as his bottles alone wasnt filling him up. the health visitor said dont give him any more than 2 lots a day so that is all im doing but i give him a bit more than the required 1 teaspoon for starting weaning as its not enough for him. The last 4 nights he has been waking in the night for a bottle where he was sleeping through before. should i start giving him more solids each day? he is just 4 months old.

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 11-May-05 10:55:20

I started my dd on solids when she was 4 months and like you my HV said the same although I gave her a bit more baby rice than I should because she seemed like she was hungry.

How much milk does he have?

juicychops Wed 11-May-05 11:03:24

He has 4 bottles a day 8oz each. and an extra one in the night when he wakes up

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 11-May-05 12:14:47

I take it thats 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon?

Have you tried giving him the middle of the night bottle earlier-dream feed about 10 o'clock ish?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 11-May-05 13:18:08

It might be the solids are bothering his gut? Four months is a bit young for solids.

Why do you think the bottles weren't filling him up? Did you try giving more milk?

nailpolish Wed 11-May-05 13:35:48

hi

ive never understood the 'one teaspoon' requirements. i mean, i think they get a wee taste then you whip it away!

i wouldnt worry about it. i started both dd's off on baby rice made up with 2oz of milk. after only a week or 2 they were on 3 meals a day, baby rice made with 2oz of milk OR pureed apples and pears. both my dd's really enjoyed porridge (the baby variety) early on too.

i weaned them both at 5 mths.

maybe also try a drink of water too, as long as this doesnt cut down on the milk.

if you feel your baby would enjoy more baby rice than is recommended then just go for it. im sure youre not planning on enormous big amounts! just what you think your baby wants/needs

good luck

nailpolish Wed 11-May-05 13:39:35

also meant to add, starting solids doesnt always mean the nighttime waking will stop, esp at this time of year when the sun streams through the window!

but its sometimes thought to help.

what i do is i give dd breakfast of baby rice when she wakes (630/7am) and a bottle of milk. then about 10am bottle of milk. then lunch of pureed fruit or veg and a drink of water maybe a petit filou of shes esp hungry about 130 or 2pm. then a bottle of milk 430/5pm and i dont give her her supper til after her bath at 7pm, then she sleeps through til 630/7am

i hope this can help!

mears Wed 11-May-05 13:41:20

juicychops - why didn't you give him more bottles rather than start solids out of interest?

crazy Wed 11-May-05 13:45:27

I would be likely to agree with Newbarnsleygirl and offer him a bottle feed at about 10pm as he really needs 5 bottles a day still,I would suggest to try this rather than offering more solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now