Talk

Advanced search

ok which AGA book should i buy?

(8 Posts)
PaulaYatesBiggestFan Fri 12-Jun-09 21:59:19

just one mind ( and i am vegetarian)! smile

Spidermama Fri 12-Jun-09 22:07:20

I had a feeling this might be you. wink

I haven't got any books but have been picking things up as I go along. I have, as yet, failed to make a good sponge cake in the over but bread is fab.

In general it's a case of using the hob just briefly in the early stages then transferring your food into the oven.

For this to work you need good heavy bottomed and very flat pans that can transfer directly from hot plate to oven.

You also need one of these.

Our local Aga dealer does cooking demos a couple of times a year which are very populat though I haven't been.

Spidermama Fri 12-Jun-09 22:08:37

I'm also vegetarian but dh does roasts in the Rayburn which everyone says are really juicy.

Roasted veg are beautifully moist and full of flavour done in the oven too. I make a lovely roasted veg lasagne though I say so meself!

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Fri 12-Jun-09 22:24:55

the food has tasted good so far!

Thanks for the tips Spidermama - i have bought that rip off kettle actually!

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sat 13-Jun-09 21:56:41

i wonder which book

usedtoreadbooks Mon 15-Jun-09 10:30:54

Don't know about books but pizza done in the AGA is delicious - gets a lovely crispy base.

meltedmarsbars Mon 15-Jun-09 14:54:15

All the books I've ever seen are too small/basic - you're better with a Mrs Beeton or other gastronomical delight.

The aga doesn't need special recipes - just an idea of how to use the heat efficiently. It makes fantastic profiteroles, sponges, swiss rolls, stews, roasts, pommes dauphinois - just about everything.

What can't you make in an aga?

Elizabeth Davids French Provincial cooking? I use that a lot - not strictly veg, but adaptable.

Millie1 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:34:58

We've only recently got an Aga too and I'm just using my usual cookbooks but referring to the Mary Berry (?) book which came with the Aga to get an idea of oven and shelves and then just experiment and write it down so as I remember next time! So far my only disaster was my first casserole which was really chewy after 5 hrs but it turned out I'd a problem with the oven and it was 90 degrees below the temp it should've been grin!

Are you enjoying cooking with it? I'm loving it - am a real convert! Bought some aga cookware and it's brilliant quality so a real treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now