Talk

Advanced search

DD demanding noodles and refusing her dinner, need support don't want to give in....

(14 Posts)
Confuzzeled Fri 12-Jun-09 17:40:06

DD 2.2yo loves stir frys with lots of veg and noodles.

Tonight I've made pasta bog which she normally wolfs down. But she decided she wanted noodles and is refusing to eat her pasta.

I've tried to feed it to her dolly but she keeps saying "Baby no like it". She didn't eat much at nursery and I know she's hungry because she's been in the kitchen getting bowls and bibs out.

I don't have any noodles but I'm worried if I make her something else I'm just encouraging her to be fussy.

Oh what to do?

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 17:41:23

Message withdrawn

Confuzzeled Fri 12-Jun-09 17:45:09

I know, thats what I'm scared of. I don't want to give in and forever be a slave to fussy kiddies.

StirlingTheStrong Fri 12-Jun-09 17:46:30

Riven is right. Just tell her that is dinner. Leave it in front of her for a while and then take it away and tell her she can leave the table.

She may be hungry for an evening but she will think twice about doing it again!

Confuzzeled Fri 12-Jun-09 17:48:03

She is now lying face down on the floor shouting "NO LIKE IT NO LIKE IT".

Need strength.......

LaDiDaDi Fri 12-Jun-09 17:49:34

As you know that she likes it I really wouldn't give in.

HeadFairy Fri 12-Jun-09 17:49:46

I agree don't give in. I always walk away from ds in these situations and leave him to it for a few mins. Usually I come back and find him tucking in, even if it's just a few mouthfuls I'm happier than if he refuses outright.

You could always keep the pasta and reheat it a bit later if she's hungrier then and more likely to eat it. I do this all the time with ds when he's playing silly buggers with his tea.

bathtime Fri 12-Jun-09 17:50:06

I'm torn with this sort of thing - I do the very worst possible thing, sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't ie inconsistent (very bad!).

But sometimes I just think, imagine going to a restaurant and saying you fancy spag bol and the waiter says no you have to have pizza!

Maybe a bit of negotiation is ok sometimes? Or giving a choice where it's reasonable - say "you can have a plate of the meat but if you don't want pasta you'll have to have it with bread as we don't have noodles - you choose". Sometimes they just feel they want a choice or to express an opinion.

mummyplonk Fri 12-Jun-09 17:54:58

The amount of times my Son does this, and it never gets easier - roll on 4yrs old. It is hard, the last few times I have taken it away given him a bath & pj's as usual then re-heated it and he's scoffed away, maybe it was just luck or defused the situation and he forgot but hang in there. If he dosnt eat it he will have a massive breakfast tommorrow and Mummy has won grin

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 17:56:37

Message withdrawn

Starbear Fri 12-Jun-09 17:56:37

I'm in the 'don't give in'camp. When ds was little I always had this thought in my head, if I felt I was being mean but, it was for his future well being.
He is not in a refugee camp, we are so luck that I can put food in his belly, clean sheets on the bed, I don't have to walk miles to get water and he hasn't got to play in the gutter while I work 16 hours.

Confuzzeled Fri 12-Jun-09 17:57:20

Tantrum in full swing now which I'm ignoring.

She has been into the kitchen and managed to get the freezer door open.

I've taken dinner away because it's gone cold and she kept swiping at the bowl. I didn't want to have to clean it off the floor.

I know I've probably got worse terrible twos to go through but this is really winding me up.

Confuzzeled Fri 12-Jun-09 18:07:50

Okay, going to do as suggested.

Off to give dd a bath then I'll ask her if she wants her dinner maybe on toast.

Littlepurpleprincess Sun 14-Jun-09 11:14:47

well done!

DS did this for a while only he wanted beans EVERYDAY! So know I offer him something with beans everyday.

EG

Jacket spud and beans
beans on toast
fish fingers and beans
chilli and beans

the list goes on, he has had some unusual mixes, but to him he was getting what he wanted but I was also offering new foods and provided a balanced diet at the same time.

Plus, he soon got fed up of beans wink

I never cook a second meal. He eats what I cook, or he goes hungry. He starved himself for one day once, but caved at tea time. I win!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now