Talk

Advanced search

The UK eats 50% of Europes ready meals....

(252 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 15:45:49

Message withdrawn

MadamAnt Fri 12-Jun-09 15:50:52

Eurgh...really?

I wonder if it's due to the shitty working culture in the UK? Stupidly long hours are expected of most employees and that's got to impact on time available for cooking real food.

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 15:59:04

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Fri 12-Jun-09 15:59:38

cause we're all rushed, stressed and knackered.

duchesse Fri 12-Jun-09 16:00:46

I would never have guessed! I'd have thought it would be closer to 95%. In most other European countries, people still know how to cook, and have time to do so even if they're working full-time.

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:01:40

How long does it take to heat a ready meal?

I can cook a lovely omelett in 10 minutes, or kedgree in 20 minutes, or pasta and pesto with cherry tomat and sweetcorn in 10 minutes.

duchesse Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:18

And it's the deskilling that makes people think they don't have time- if cooking doesn't come relatively easily, then it can take ages. With know-how comes speed.

passionberry Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:28

I used to eat them sometimes in my single days but the last time I had one (a Tesco finest!) I could really, really taste the salt. Agree they are also a very expensive way of eating.

I am so glad I have more or less have taught myself to cook!

belgo Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:32

It's not down to long working hours. People in other countries work just as hard if not harder. It's down to laziness and people just not knowing how to cook properly - they see tasty looking ready made meals and just cannot resist buying them.

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:38

Message withdrawn

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:52

It takes me 5-6 minutes to throw a stew in the slow cooker, with potato slices lining the bottom of the crock and walk in after a day at work and eat straight away - what could be quicker than that?

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 12-Jun-09 16:03:11

Was the article by Joanna Blythman, Riven? She argues exactly that in Bad Food Britain. She quotes a German or Austrian woman saying that not having time to cook would make her feel like a loser, as if she hadn't got time to wash herself. Though that was an interesting point as lots of British people who supposedly don't have time to cook the simplest thing still have time to shower every day!

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:03:54

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:04:36

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Fri 12-Jun-09 16:05:02

maybe europeans are overly obsessed with food. we like drinking wink

belgo Fri 12-Jun-09 16:06:19

exactly SEA- people in the Uk find plenty of time to drink.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 12-Jun-09 16:06:44

It's a very good book, I thought. One of those books that makes you see something in a different way and once you see it you can't believe you never noticed it before.

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:06:48

No there mothers cook smile so they get one on one cookery lessons at home wink they dont need to even register the lessons smile

But you do not need cookery lessons - you need reading lessons and then you will use a cook book if you want to.

I couldn't cook at 16 and learnt when I got married as I needed to cook (my dh could cook) due to doing my share. I cook now and am a good cook but my mother never taught me even though she was also a good cook.

duchesse Fri 12-Jun-09 16:08:39

I agree Kathy -I was especially intrigued by her chapter on schools and food- the bits about school banning homemade cakes and biscuits on "health and safety" grounds were particularly shout-worthy.

passionberry Fri 12-Jun-09 16:09:41

I drink while I cook southeastasia! wink

TheProvincialLady Fri 12-Jun-09 16:09:48

My parents don't have time to cook (apparently) as they both have stressful jobs and when they come home they need to spend a few hours watching the televisionhmm So they eat ready meals. They don't have the energy to cook proper food. My argument is that they should cook something that contains a vitamin here and there and nourish their bodies, and then they might have the energy to do something more interesting in their time off.

duchesse Fri 12-Jun-09 16:10:10

Ivy- agree too- I learned to cook from a combination of learning from other people's grannies, great-grannies and mothers in France and teaching myself once I left home. My mother is not a brilliant cook- refried leftovers a speciality barring a few signature dishes.

Ivykaty44 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:13:07

PL they may be well preserved though with all the ready meal ingredients.

My parent doesn't have a tv and he is a fantastic cook smile
perhas the tv is to blame smile

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:13:58

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Fri 12-Jun-09 17:01:31

i don't eat ready meals though, they leave a weird aftertaste

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now