Talk

Advanced search

Two questions I could do with a quick reply to if someone has a minute

(10 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 12-Jun-09 14:35:06

I'm limited to time as I'm on internet at library with my 2yo so a quick answer would be appreciated.

My first is . . . . what would you do with a gammon joint for Sunday dinner?

And my second is . . . . does anyone know how you work out how many egg sponge mix to use to fit tins?

As in, I have a 9" square tin I want to make a cake in, but could do with the cake rising right to the very top of the tin. How do I work out how many eggs to use?

TIA if you have time to answer

MaryBS Fri 12-Jun-09 14:37:05

Two options with gammon. Either cook it in cider, with a mustard glaze, or bake it as any other joint, but serve it with saute or new potatoes, a nice thick onion sauce and veg

OhBling Fri 12-Jun-09 14:38:04

Roast the gammon and serve with veggies if it's a cold day or serve it cold with salads if it's warm.

Can't help on the cake one!

AMumInScotland Fri 12-Jun-09 14:39:05

I'd serve the gammon with jacket potatoes and cauliflower cheese.

Sorry, no use for you on the cake one.

LIZS Fri 12-Jun-09 14:39:55

roasted veg and new potatoes

lucysmam Fri 12-Jun-09 14:41:08

sounds good with the cider & mustard glaze, more exciting than a plain old roast.

Never mind about the cake one, that'll probably have to wait for another day.

Thanks

stripeypineapple Fri 12-Jun-09 14:43:47

Viz the cake; my usual rule is half the amount of eggs to oz of flour, so if I've used 8oz of flour I'll use 4 eggs.

HuffwardlyRudge Fri 12-Jun-09 14:45:02

1. Boil in cider for 20 mins per 500g + 20 mins. Can put bay leaves, peppercorns, onion, carrot, anything you like in with. Glaze in fruit juice plus syrup and mustard and cloves. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with roast asparagus and boiled potatos.

2. 9" tin should be a 2 or 3 egg sponge.

Monty100 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:03:41

There's a recipe for boiling it in coca-cola, it's supposed to be really nice.

lucysmam Sat 04-Jul-09 14:13:13

thanks for the help rethe cake question, I just had a guess & it worked fine. Sorry for taking so long to say thanks, have only just got chance to get on a pc smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now